Penne Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
is an economical budget friendly meal that is also quick and easy to prepare on those hectic days.
When I was growing up I learned lots of little tricks from my mother and grandmother. They always used leftovers and cooked them up with
macaroni either spaghetti or penne.
Sausage is one of those grilled meats I make often — like just a few days ago — which we do not always finish, leaving leftovers for another meal. So why not make sausage and peppers reinvented.
I bought a nice size yellow pepper that was only 39 cents, a bargain I couldn’t pass up. Now I have the most important ingredients for penne pasta with sausage and peppers.
Add in tomatoes, oh, and I had a leftover portobello mushroom also which I added, and in a quick 20 minutes I had a rich and hearty meal using my leftovers.
Penne Pasta With Sausage and Peppers
- 1 box of Penne Pasta (or use spaghetti) - I use Dreamfields
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 yellow onion sliced (or use shallots which I did)
- 1 clove garlic, diced (optional)
- 2 cups sliced cooked Italian sausage
- 1 portobello or 3-4 crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 TBLS. avocado oil (or use your preferred light oil)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or you can use bouillon)
- 1-2 tbls. chopped parsley
- 1 tbls. chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
This is a very flexible recipe. You can use whatever leftovers you have in your fridge that is just not enough to make on its own but is a perfect pairing with lots of other ingredients. I usually have fresh baby spinach in the fridge but I used it all a few days ago, which I would definitely have used 2-3 cups of the spinach as well.
The exercise here, as my grandmother used to say, ‘Waste Not, Want Not!’, give new life to the leftovers and make something delicious.
You Might Also Enjoy These Quick & Easy Pasta Recipes: