Penne Pasta With Sausage and Peppers
Penne Pasta With Sausage and Peppers is an economical budget friendly meal that is also quick and easy to prepare especially when scheduling is hectic.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 15-18 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: 3-4 servings
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 1 box of Penne Pasta (or use spaghetti) – I use Dreamfields
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 yellow onion sliced (or use shallots which I did)
- 1 clove garlic, diced (optional)
- 2 cups sliced cooked Italian sausage
- 1 portobello or 3-4 crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 TBLS. avocado oil (or use your preferred light oil)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or you can use bouillon)
- 1-2 tbls. chopped parsley
- 1 tbls. chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Prepare the boiling water to cook the pasta. Do this while you are preparing the sauce below. As soon as the water boils add in the pasta. You can have this sauce ready in the time it takes the water to boil and pasta to cook. Dinner can be ready in 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 TBLS. olive oil (or your preferred light oil) on medium heat and add in the sliced peppers. Saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, then add in the sliced onions or shallots, and garlic. Saute until the onions turn opaque. Add in the red pepper flakes if using.
- Next add in the tomatoes and the mushrooms. Saute for another 3-5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine if using. If not using wine deglaze with ¼ cup of the broth stir a little and then add in the remainder of the broth.
- Add in the cooked sausage and cover the pan, turn down to simmer, cook until the sausage is heated through. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss all together with the cooked pasta.
I used leftovers but you can prepare the sausage and peppers early in the day and dinner will be ready in less than 20 minutes.
Keywords: pasta dinner, sausage, vegetables, quick and easy recipe