Apple Crostata is such an easy dessert to prepare. You can make this delicious dessert anytime or for your fall holiday entertaining.
Today I made my Apple Crostata with Brie to serve with our holiday dinner. The ingredient list is short for this recipe. All you need for the basic tart are apples, maple syrup, butter, lemon juice and a pie crust.
That’s only 5 easy ingredients you probably already have on hand. The only other ingredients can be the “add ins” for another layer of flavor. I used Brie today which goes well with the ham we will have for dinner.
If you are hosting guests for the holidays you can serve this delicious Apple Crostata with Brie for brunch. You can always dress it up even more by adding the crunch of crispy bacon. Yes indeed, that will be perfectly delicious for brunch.
I’m not always organized when my days are very hectic, but today for this recipe I tried to think ahead and work efficiently to make this recipe as easy as ‘pie’. Which it was.
First roll out the pie crust and set aside. I used a pre-made pie crust today to insure my results would be perfect since time was of the essence. Slice the apples and the rest is very easy.
Because granny smith apples are firm and tart they hold up well in this type of recipe. The maple syrup works well with the tart apples. I left the skin on the apples but if you want to peel them.
There is no granulated sugar in this recipe which is a plus. The 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup was more than enough sweetness for this crostata. I did use the turbinado sugar on the crust which was really for ‘dressing up’ but it is not necessary if you want to eliminate unnecessary sugar.
I added Brie for a sweet/savory combination but the Brie melted in seamlessly and no one even knew there was cheese in it. Everyone loved it. You can always sprinkle additional Brie on the Crostata while it is still warm when serving.Print
Apple Crostata is Italian for a rustic apple pie and in French it is called an apple galette. Baking a crostata or galette is actually the same, however it should not be confused with a tart since it is not baked in a tart pan. Apple Crostata (or galette) is a delicious and very easy to make rustic open pie for dessert any time!
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pie crust (pre-made)
- 2 Granny Smith Apples sliced
- 2 TBLS. butter
- 2 TBLS. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. lemon juice (fresh if you have it)
- 4 oz. Brie
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts toasted (optional)
- Turbinado Sugar for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust on parchment paper and place on a cookie sheet – set aside.
- Heat a medium size sauce pan on medium heat. Add in the butter, maple syrup and the lemon juice, stir to blend and then add in the apples.
- Cook for a few minutes stirring occasionally just until the apples have softened and absorbed the flavors of the syrup. Approximately 3-5 minutes based on the thickness of the apple slices.
- When apples have cooled for about 10 minutes, lay them out on the pie crust 2 inches from the edge.
- Roll up the crust, baste with egg wash and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust has browned.
Keywords: apple dessert, rustic pie, fall dessert, apple crostata, galette
This crostata/galette took less than one hour to prep, cook, and bake. I was cleaning up while it baked and was ready for my next project.
You might enjoy these Fall Apple recipes: