quick and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes especially when schedules are hectic.
When everyone is hungry and tired after a long day you can whip up this recipe for gnocchi primavera in less than 30 minutes and if using frozen veggies this can be done probably in 20 minutes.
You can also use any leftover veggies which makes this quick and economical as well.
Primavera means spring and since the vegetables I’m using in this recipes are spring veggies I’m calling this Gnocchi Primavera.
We’re fortunate these days that out of season vegetables and fruits are available all year thanks to modern day express shipping. As a baby boomer I remember when my mom bought seasonal vegetables. We never had string beans in the winter until frozen foods became available.
My mom always used fresh fruits and vegetables, that’s just the way it was back “in the day”. I try to always use fresh but I keep 2 family favorite vegetables in the freezer – peas and broccoli. These two vegetables are my go-to when I’m in a pinch.
Today our lives are so completely different and frozen foods are ‘our friend’ when our schedules get hectic. The best part about gnocchi primavera is that you can take out any frozen vegetables which your family likes, add them to the boiling water with the gnocchi to cook. Then drain and add to saute pan to coat with the simple sauce.
I had a yellow pepper and some grape tomatoes to which I added frozen peas to make my vegetarian gnocchi for #meatlessmonday.
This recipe is really very easy, let’s get started. First put a 3.5 quart pot filled with water on heat to boil. Take out veggies. Saute an onion. Add everything to saute pan and toss until onion browns and add 1 cup vegetable broth, cook for 3-5 minutes until veggies are cooked through, season and serve.
- 2 lbs. fresh gnocchi
- 1 pepper cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes halved.
- 2 TBLS. avocado oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 1 small onion or medium shallot chopped
- 2 TBLS. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper
- grated parmigiano reggiano
- Add water to a 3.5 quart pot and place on medium/high to boil. Add a little salt to the water.
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil on medium and saute the onion or shallot. Keep heat on medium/low so the onion cooks but does not burn.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Add in the chopped peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- When the gnocchi are cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi and peppers and add to the saute pan.
- Continue to cook the gnocchi in the saute pan for about 3 to 5 minutes with the vegetables - stirring often.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, season with salt and pepper and cook for another minute or two. Add in fresh parsley.
- If you need more sauce you can add some of the gnocchi water to the saute pan. Taste for seasoning.
As with many of my recipes, especially pasta recipes, you can use any vegetables you choose and add more or less of any you desire.
This a a delicious Meatless Monday dish that can be for any night of a hectic week!
You might also enjoy these Quick & Easy Pasta dishes:
I’ve shared this post with:
Hun What’s For Dinner’s Simple Supper Tuesday