A quick and easy Sweet and Sour Chicken for a weeknight meal is better than take out.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken was often the dish I would order when in a Chinese restaurant many moons ago.
These days there are so many delicious dishes to choose from on the menu. Now I always order something different, though the one constant is that I always enjoy something sweet with the savory dish.
Two of the sweet items that call out to me are honey glazed walnuts or anything with oranges.
Today I thought I would make my chicken dinner stand out and make an Asian style Sweet and Sour Chicken using my homemade sweet and sour sauce here.
This is one of those recipes that came together as I was making it. You can also use the crock pot if you prefer and just set it and forget it.
This dish is now one of my ‘winner winner’ chicken dinners.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken a homemade 'better than takeout' recipe that will become a favorite. It's easy to make for a quick and flavorful dinner.
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple cubed
- 3 TBLS. flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS. soy sauce
- 2 TBLS. sesame oil (or your favorite light oil)
- 3 scallions chopped
- zest from 1 orange
- Sweet & Sour Sauce (use your favorite or make this homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce Copycat Recipe)
- Place the flour in a large plastic bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch strips and add them to the flour mixture.
- Cut up the peppers into 2 inch cubes. Cut up the pineapple if not already cut.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium/high heat and add in the sesame oil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in the peppers and saute for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until they start to soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the floured chicken pieces to the pan (add a little more oil if needed), shake off excess flour first, and cook a few minutes on each side - just until lightly browned.
- Add in the peppers and the pineapple and ½ cup of sweet and sour sauce to the chicken and cover. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in soy sauce and, if needed, add in more sweet & sour sauce and heat through.
- Add to dinner plate and add the orange zest and chopped scallions.
- Serve with brown rice.
This is a flexible recipe - the amount of ingredients added can be more or less based on your preferences.
To get a head start make the Sweet and Sour sauce in advance. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish. It will keep in the fridge up to 5 days in an airtight container. Make a double batch, it’s a delicious. This sauce can even be a dipping sauce for chicken fingers.