Sweet and Sour Orange Chicken Better Than Take Out Recipe
Sweet and Sour Orange Chicken a homemade ‘better than takeout’ recipe that will become a favorite. It’s easy to make for a quick and flavorful dinner.
- Prep Time: 10-12 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American/Asian
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple cubed
- 3 TBLS. flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS. soy sauce
- 2 TBLS. sesame oil (or your favorite light oil)
- 3 scallions chopped
- zest from 1 orange and juice from orange
- Sweet & Sour Sauce (use your favorite or make this homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce Copycat Recipe)
- Place the flour in a large plastic bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch strips and add them to the flour mixture.
- Cut up the peppers into 2 inch cubes. Cut up the pineapple if not already cut.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium/high heat and add in the sesame oil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in the peppers and saute for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until they start to soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the floured chicken pieces to the pan (add a little more oil if needed), shake off excess flour first, and cook a few minutes on each side – just until lightly browned.
- Add in the peppers and the pineapple and ½ cup of sweet and sour sauce to the chicken and cover. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in soy sauce and juice from orange. If needed, add in more sweet & sour sauce and heat through.
- Add to dinner plate and add the orange zest and chopped scallions.
- Serve with brown rice.
This is a flexible recipe – the amount of ingredients added can be more or less based on your preferences.