Cheddar Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
Homemade Cheddar Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits is an easy recipe to make in less than 30 minutes. A delicious bread alternative to serve with hearty winter soups and stews. Make these for weekend brunch with your eggs and omelets. You can also add in fresh herbs.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Total Time: 30-40 min.
- Yield: 12 biscuits
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted, divided
Preheat ove to 450 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda in large bowl until well blended.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in the buttermilk and stir 4 or 5 times with a fork, then add in the cheddar cheese and continue to stir until well blended and the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Scoop out the dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead approximately 20 times or until smooth.
- Pat out the dough to ½-inch-thickness – or you can use a rolling pin.
- Using a glass or 2 inch cookie cutter, cut out circles.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven and brush tops with remaining melted butter.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, homemade, cheese biscuits, easy biscuit recipe