An easy dessert to make for any occasion.
One of my favorite special occasion desserts is Tiramisu. Today I made Nutella Tiramisu, it’s so easy!
Since I’m always tweaking my recipes to make them fit into our family’s dietary needs I like making Tiramisu – it’s a recipe that can be ‘tweaked’ to your liking.
Tiramisu is that special ‘sweet treat’ I make once or twice a year for a special occasion.
I guess you can say that today’s (unofficial) World Nutella Day fits into one of my special occasions. This special edition of my Nutella Tiramisu is lightened up a bit by eliminating the eggs and I have not added any sugar or alcohol.
A traditional Italian dessert, Tiramisu means “pick me up” from the caffeine in the espresso, the sugar and alcohol. It’s what we would call today a ‘sugar rush’ or ‘jolt’.
Using ‘ladyfinger’ cookies that are dipped in strong coffee and topped with a layer of cream, you will see it’s very easy to prepare. It’s so very basic there are no special tools required.
I eliminated the rich zabaglione that is traditionally used in Tiramisu. I just used whipped cream and mascarpone with the addition of Nutella. Some of the richness from the zabaglione is lost, but I felt that I saved a lot of time and calories yet I still had a rich and creamy dessert. The Nutella has so much flavor you won’t miss the rich egg zabaglione – unless of course zabaglione is a favorite of yours.Print
Nutella Tiramisu No Bake Recipe
Nutella Tiramisu is a No Bake dessert to make any time of year. Tiramisu is a great recipe to make in advance. Saves time when planning for a special occasion. This recipe will serve 2-4. I used only ½ the package of cookies for this recipe. Just increase the ingredients to make a larger portion.
- Prep Time: 15-25 min.
- Total Time: 15-25 min.
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 10 savoiardi cookies (ladyfingers)
- 1/2 cup brewed strong espresso coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 1/2 TBLS. mascarpone, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon chocolate shavings
- Powdered Sugar for dusting (optional)
- You can use instant espresso powder to make the strong coffee.
- In a small bowl whip cream.
- In a separate small bowl whip the mascarpone for a minute or so just to give it a little lightness. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone until well blended. Add in the Nutella and mix until it is well blended with the cream and mascarpone.
- Line a small size glass baking dish with plastic wrap and let the wrap overlap the sides of the plate. This will help to un-mold the dessert onto a serving platter.
- Place the ladyfingers in the bottom of the dish in the same direction and with a pastry brush give the ladyfingers a brush or two of the coffee. The cookies should have a coating of the coffee mixture to be absorbed for flavor. — You can also dip each cookie into the coffee and then place into the dish.
- Top the layer of ladyfingers with the nutella cream mixture just until covered.
- Place a second layer of cookies in the opposite direction of the bottom layer, brush with coffee and spread with the nutella cream.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving (2 or more hours is best so that the flavors blend).
- Sprinkle the top with the chocolate shavings and add a dollop of whipped cream.
You might also like my ‘updated’ version of traditional Tiramisu recipe without sacrificing flavor. Nutella just seems to be a natural addition to Italy’s Tiramisu.