I made an easy vanilla cupcake recipe and the best decorators in the county were in the wings ready to help with the decorating.
Since there is a lot of planning going on this week I decided to whip up the batter and bake the cupcakes a day in advance so they have plenty of time to cool. This was a good move for me – I get so caught up in my to-do list I never give myself enough time to let the cookies or cakes cool down for the frosting.
For the decorations I took a few shortcuts. Making homemade frosting would have caused a huge dispute on who was better at doing the frosting, and that also could have caused a frosting shortage. There is nothing worse than starting a project and running out of materials.
So I bought 3 cans of vanilla cream frosting. I know that’s a lot but I was anticipating a few mishaps and wanted to be sure we had enough to complete our cute bunnies.
The bunny with the whiskers has marshmallow ears. Using kitchen scissors I cut a marshmallow in half, dipped the sticky portion into pink sugar and then placed them into the frosting. That was more of a mess, the peeps bunny ears was so much easier.
For the eyes I melted 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, added the cooled melted chocolate to a small baggie, cut off the tip and piped on the eyes and whiskers.
We used jelly beans for the mouth, a little messy but it was fun and at the end of the day we had a few cute bunnies.
Cooking with kids is a day of making memories and this was a fun project making holiday memories.
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup + 1 TBLS. sugar (I used Stevia In The Raw)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and gently mix with a fork - Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until till light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the egg/sugar mix and blend, then blend in ⅓ milk, continue with the flour and the milk. Add in the vanilla.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full and bake for approximately 18 minutes or until the center springs back.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire racks.