A ‘low carb’ alternative to mashed potatoes, delicious cauliflower mash with cheddar cheese is so very easy to make.
My family has accepted cauliflower as an alternative to potatoes, though it has been a slow ride.
When I made the cauliflower mash I figured the cheddar cheese would visually help with everyone taking at least one scoop without question.
Yes, it worked. Though grampy was a little too quick to say they do not look like mashed potatoes but I gave him “the look” – I didn’t want the boys to hear this ‘power of suggestion’.
Using cauliflower as a low carb alternative doesn’t take much work, just a little thought. For the mashed cauliflower with cheddar you would prepare them as you would your mashed potatoes, basically using your same preferred recipe ingredients.Print
Cauliflower Mash With Cheddar Cheese
Cauliflower Mash with Cheddar Cheese is an Easy Low Carb Alternative to Mashed Potatoes. It’s an easy to make recipe for everyone who needs to keep a low carb diet.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Total Time: 20-25 min.
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large fresh cauliflower
- 1-2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (or your preferred cheese)
- 2 tbls. cream cheese or plain Greek yogurt (your preference)
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 clove garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbls. scallions or chives (optional)
- 1 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
- Add about 2 inches of water into a medium size stock pot and place on medium heat. Add salt to the water and you can also add the garlic for flavor (this is optional if you do not like garlic).
- Cut the off the florets from the stems.
- Add the florets to the simmering water and cover. Steam for about 6 minutes and immediately drain and pat dry.
- Add the cauliflower, 1 cup of cheese and the dairy ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, it only takes a few seconds.
- Taste for seasoning, salt & pepper and add in scallions/chives and parsley if using.
- Add to a heatproof casserole, top with additional shredded cheese and just before serving heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until hot and cheese has melted.
Keywords: Cauliflower Mash, low carb cauli mash, replace mashed potatoes
Keeping things a little more healthy in my kitchen I’ve made many cauliflower recipes to replace some of our favorite carbs. You might also like these easy, low carb Spicy Cauliflower Bites
It’s so much easier now since you can buy “riced” cauliflower in most supermarkets. Now you do not have buy a whole head of cauliflower and “rice” it on your grater. Just buy the fresh “riced” cauliflower and you will save at least 15 minutes off your prep time on many of the low carb cauliflower recipes.