Make Lime Zest Shortbread Cookies for a Spring Bake Sale. An easy cookie recipe you can make anytime.
Lime Zest Shortbread Cookies
I like making shortbread cookie dough for it’s flexibility. Chocolate dipping and adding nuts are my favs but the boys prefer sugar coated cookies. With this very easy recipe I added lime zest for extra flavor and then decorated them in different ways.
I dipped some cookies in white chocolate and added green sugar crystals. Others I used lime juice to make a sugar glaze and topped with festive sprinkles.
This was hands down the boys favorite and there was still a variety of cookies for everyone to enjoy.
So my cookie recipe is actually refined sugar free. However, please forgive the sugar candy decorations. That was the boys preference. Of course, you can leave out the sugar and just dip in white chocolate, or whatever your decorating preference might prefer.
Using a food processor to mix the batter takes just 5 minutes, if that long. Although this recipe only makes approximately 16 cookies you can make double and triple batches in no time at all.
Chill the dough for at least one hour (or overnight if you get busy and forget you have cookies to bake), roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick. I use those cute little rubber rings you add to the rolling pin so that my dough is the proper thickness.
Use a 2 inch cookie cutter and bake.
So easy – I just love making recipes that are quick to prepare and easy as well.Print
Lime Zest Shortbread Cookies
Lime Zest Shortbread Cookies is a small batch. They are so very easy to make and refined sugar free. The prep is made using a food processor, easy! Roll out and bake. This recipe is from Farmhouse Rules on Foodnetwork.com.
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Cook Time: 15 min.
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 dz.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup of AP flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used Monk Fruit)
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick of cold butter, sliced
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- Sugar Glaze:
- 2 TBLS. fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup Monk Fruit powdered sugar
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, lime zest to food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times to blend ingredients.
- Add in a little of the cold butter pieces and pulse 2 or 3 times, continue to do this until all the butter is added & add in the vanilla. Then pulse until the dough comes together – just another few more pulses.
- Remove dough and gather into a ball, flatten a bit. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees when ready to roll out dough.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch. Cut out with a 2 inch cookie cutter.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
For Sugar Glaze
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl and stir in the lime juice.
- If needed add either more sugar or more juice to get the desired consistency to spread on the cookies.
This small batch shortbread cookie recipe can be baked without lime zest. You can also just give them a plain sugar glaze or dip in chocolate. A shortbread cookie is always delicious any way you serve it.
It’s an easy cookie recipe to make if it’s your turn to to send cookies to school with the kids.
This recipe was shared with the #fillthecookiejar group.