Chicken topped with olives, peppers, onions and tomatoes gives this sauted Mediterranean Chicken lots of flavor and it’s an easy weeknight meal.
I almost always make roasted chicken with veggies in the oven but with the weather changing I wanted to something a little different and more flavors.
To come up with something different to cook can be challenging. Most often a dish with tomato sauce and anything with cheese is a winner in my family, but I’ve been hitting a wall trying to come up with something different.
I also wanted something that was freezable. Cooking when I have time saves time on busy weeknights. This is a great freezer meal. When defrosted it will taste like you just made it and you can dress it up by adding either rice or pasta on the side.
This Mediterranean Chicken turned out to be a hit. It’s a basic simple dish to prepare and it’s a great freezer meal.
Simply saute the chicken, remove to a plate, add the onions and cook until translucent then add the peppers, olives and the remaining ingredients. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Add in the chicken to continue cooking, approximately 10 minutes. Done!
I would normally add in artichoke hearts to this dish but I didn’t have any left this week. My pantry staples have been depleted since my shopping trips have been limited due to the crazy weather. I’ve been learning to think a bit in advance when I’m food shopping – we have to be prepared so dinner can be ready at a moments notice.
Easy Sauted Chicken topped with Olives, Peppers and Onions and Tomatoes gives this dinner Mediterranean style flavors.
- 6 skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3-4 tbls. Olive Oil (or use any light oil)
- 3 tbls. butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup Italian Cured Olives, pitted (use more or less based on preference)
- 1 small jar roasted peppers, cut in medium chunks
- 1 14 oz. can of tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes if you prefer)
- 3 tbls. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (add more or less to taste)
- 1 tbls. chopped basil leaves or use dried (add more or less to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
1. Slice the skinless chicken breasts in half so that you will have 8 pieces of chicken.
2. In a large frying pan or saute pan heat the oil and butter on medium heat.
3. In a large plastic storage bag add in the flour and season with salt and pepper. Add in the chicken breasts and shake to coat the chicken with the flour.
4. Add the floured chicken breasts to the hot oil and cook about 5 minutes on each side. They do not have to brown but they should be cooked only half way through.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and add to a dish.
6. Add In to the saute pan the sliced onions and cook until translucent - approx. 3-4 minutes. Add in the olives, peppers and tomato sauce and the remaining ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes. If using, you can now stir in the red wine.
7. Add the chicken to the pan and stir well to coat the chicken with the sauce. Cover the pan and cook another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
If you have leftovers place in a freezable container for supper on a hectic weeknight or have for lunch.
You Might Also Enjoy These Easy Chicken Dinners:
When a trip to the supermarket is out of the question you can make this Mediterranean Chicken with a few pantry staples.