Easter Cut Out Sugar Cookies
This easy Easter Cut Out sugar cookie recipe is adapted from BHG.com’s Sugar Cookie Cutouts. You can use your preferred sugar cookie recipe. Or, when time is short you can use refrigerator cookie dough. It’s easier for the kids to work with.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 7-19 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min. + chill time
- Yield: 1 1/2 dozen
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups AP Flour
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar ( I used granulated Monk Fruit)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups Lakanto Monk Fruit powdered sugar
- 3 TBLS. milk (you can also use fruit juice or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
- Assorted sanding sugars and sprinkles
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer beat butter on medium to high speed 30 seconds; then add in the sugar, baking powder and salt and continue to mix until well combined, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally.
- Next add in the eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Now add in about half of the flour and mix only until you can – you will not be able to use the mixer when adding the remainder of the flour.
- Continue adding the flour using a wooden spoon and mix until the flour is well blended. (I used my hands to gather up the dough to be sure all the flour was incorporated.)
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it in half. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for approximately 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. (I use pastry rings on my rolling pin to keep the dough even at the desired thickness)
- Cut out dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. (Chill well before using the sugar glaze)
- Mix together the powdered sugar and 3 TBLS. of liquid. Stir with a spoon until smoother.
- Add in food coloring if using and stir well to blend.
- Spread on cooled cookies and sprinkle on the sugar or sprinkles.
Keywords: sugar cookie recipe, easy dessert, Easter Cookie recipe