Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie
a delicious, easy to make chocolate dessert that every chocolate lover will enjoy!
Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie
Would you believe Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie can be low calorie and still delicious?
Chocolate is always on my mind and when I find a recipe that is easy to make and has less of the high fat and calories I’m giving it a try.
I like doing all the work for new recipes – testing, tasting and I quite often come up with a ‘food fail’ but this recipe for frozen chocolate mousse pie is definitely a winner.
What can be better than a delicious chocolate dessert that can be prepped in less than 15 minutes, freeze it for a few hours and “voila” a delicious no bake chocolate mousse pie is ready for dessert.
This is a recipe I came across a while ago while watching the cooking channel. It’s one of the recipes Bobby Deen has lightened up.
I’m loving this dessert, it’s so good, I’ve already made it 3 times – “Why?” you ask. – (1) I always have the ingredients in my pantry/fridge; (2) the prep is fast and easy so I make it in the morning before I start my chores (3) and I have a sweet treat ready when we need it at the end of a loooooong day!!!.
So here are the three simple steps to prepare this delicious frozen chocolate mousse pie.
1 – Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and set aside to cool.
2 – Whip up the meringue.
3 – Now fold the whipped meringue and the whipped topping into the melted chocolate.
Continue to fold until there are no white streaks showing. Spread into cookie pie crust and freeze for several hours before serving.
No Bake Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie
No Bake Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie is so easy to make and it's always a fan favorite any time of year. This no bake pie needs about 3-5 hours chill time. Make this frozen chocolate mousse pie early in the day, place in the freezer and you'll have dessert ready when you are. It's a make in advance dessert. This recipe was adapted from www.cookingchanneltv.com Bobby Deen's Lighter Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie.
- Melt Chocolate: 1 cup of chocolate chips - use your favorite milk, semisweet, or dark or a combination.
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder (you can find this in Michael's or A.C.Moore)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar free whipped topping
- 1 9 inch pie crust or pre-made cookie crust (you can make your own pie crust but I decided to use the premade graham cracker crust)
- Grated Chocolate for Garnish
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat and stir well as soon as you see the chips starting to shine and wilt. Remove from heat and stir continuously until all the chips are melted. By removing the bowl from the heat and stirring the chips to melt it prevents the chocolate from getting too hot and seizing.
- Stir in the corn syrup, and vanilla and set the bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl add the meringue powder and the water and whip until soft peaks form, this only takes a minute or two.
- To this bowl add the melted chocolate and the whipped topping and fold until all the ingredients are well blended and there are no white streaks.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust and freeze for several hours.
- Garnish with grated chocolate if desired and top with another spoonful of whipped topping.
I do have a confession to make though which added to the caloric value – I replaced the whipped topping with real whipped cream in one of my tests. It was without a doubt awesome but we are trying to stick to a more rigid diet eliminating the full fat dairy.
This recipe as written above includes the ingredients in the original recipe. It’s delicious and definitely worth making.
Chocolate dessert never gets old! The best part about this Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pie is that it’s low in calorie and grampy can eat half the pie without guilt.