Basic Coffee Cake
is an easy and simple recipe to make for breakfast and the kids can help.
From all that he tells me about his cooking class I sense the recipes are easy and have been foolproof. So I’m confident this cooking project will be a success. Today
we Chris made a Bisquick Coffee Cake using the recipe he brought home from his class.
I was the trusty assistant and did the clean up. This teamwork cut the mess and clean up time to a whopping 20 minutes. It is so worth the quick 20 minutes to have fun and enjoy spending time together.
If they are not strong enough to do the mixing they can help with the measuring. Measuring is the one thing that they love doing – it’s messy at times and I think that’s what they really enjoy!
This recipe is a ‘giver’ – it gives the kids a great sense of accomplishment when they see their cake come out of the oven and everyone gets to enjoy the cake when it’s done with no mess to clean up.
The bonus with the kids doing the prep is that you can clean up after each step.
When all is said and done everyone gets to sit down together to enjoy the cake and it’s fun to discuss the details of measuring and mess making and have lots of laughs all the while making memories for a lifetime.
A “Win Win”!
A simple process to making this coffee cake, add Bisquick to bowl along with the remainder of the cake ingredients stirring until well blended.
Mix together the ingredients for the streusel, and then spread evenly over the batter. Then pop into the oven to bake.
Here is the step by step:
- 2 Cups Bisquick
- ⅔ cup milk (low fat is o.k.)
- 2 tbls sugar (I use monk fruit)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup Bisquick
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbls. chilled butter
- Add the bisquick to a medium size bowl and stir in the sugar.
- In a glass measuring cup mix together the milk and egg and pour into the flour.
- Using a whisk stir well until blended.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch round or 8 x 8 inch square baking pan/dish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add in the brown sugar, bisquick and cinnamon.
- Cut up the chilled butter and using a fork blend together with the bisquick mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of the cake batter and bake.18 to 22 minutes. The baking time will depend on your oven.
Pull up a chair, pour a glass of milk for the kids and together enjoy a piece of cake!
You can find the basic recipe for homemade bisquick that can be used to make pancakes and the ever popular coffee cake (just eliminate the herbs), and you can also make savory biscuits or dumplings – this is where you would add the herbs.