Limeade may not always be the drink we ask for on a hot summer day, but you will enjoy this homemade limeade family friendly recipe.
I always wondered why limeade was not as popular as lemonade. It’s just as easy to make except use limes in place of lemons! Of course, it’s just as easy. I make Homemade Lemonade all the time. Sometimes you feel like having a lemonade sometimes you feel like a Limeade. All are family friendly.
Squeeze a few limes add sparkling water and a refreshing thirst quencher when the heat index is high!
All you need are 3 basic ingredients. To make a pitcher of my homemade limeade family friendly recipe you’ll need about 6 to 8 limes. Then add in a bottle of sparkling water for a fizzie drink. Or you can just use filtered water.
You’ll also need a little sweetener. Limes can be quite tart. I try to eliminate refined sugar so I use either honey or granulated Lakanto Monk Fruit. It’s really just a personal preference, feel free to use your preferred sweetener.
Making almost any fruit drink from scratch is quite easy. Use a blender to liquify the fruit, add water and taste for sweetness adding your preferred sweetener, stir and serve over ice. How Simple!
Although when using citrus fruits they need to be peeled before adding them to the blender. Or you can always use a citrus juicer. The hand held variety works perfectly if you do not want to use a blender.
I like to sweeten the Limeade though I know there are some who prefer it unsweetened. For a sweetener you can quickly make a simple syrup using 1 cup water and 1 cup of granulated sugar – I use Lakanto granulated Monk Fruit. The sweetness level is a matter of personal taste so you can add more or less sweetness as desired.
You can also use honey if you like. Just simmer 1 cup of water and add in 1/2 cup of honey. Stir often until the honey dissolves. Then set it aside to cool.Print
Homemade Limeade Family Friendly Recipe
Fresh Homemade Limeade Family Friendly Recipe is a very easy and refreshing summer drink for the entire family. Only 3 ingredients needed for this summer drink. No Refined Sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-5 min.
- Total Time: 2-4 hrs. chill time
- Yield: 1 1/2 quarts
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup of lime juice or juice from 6-8 limes
- 1-2 quarts filtered water (or use sparkling water)
- 2-4 tbls. honey simple syrup (taste for desired sweetness level)
- OR – 1/2 cup granulated Monk Fruit + 1 cup boiling water simple syrup
- Add ice cubes and garnish with lime slices
- Squeeze the juice from the limes and strain to remove pulp if desired. You can also use bottled lime juice if you don’t have limes.
- Add in one quart of filtered water to the lime juice, taste and add more water if necessary.
- You can also use bottled sparkling water if you like in place of the filtered water.
- Add in the simple syrup and taste. Add in more sugar/honey if desired.
- Serve over ice with a slice of lime and fresh mint.
To make the honey simple syrup, you would boil 1 cup of water, add 2 to 4 tbls. honey. Stir well until honey is well blended. Taste for sweetness.
Keywords: Homemade, summer drinks, family friendly drinks, no refined sugar
I made both a fizzie limeade and the old fashioned version limeade using filtered water. Of course the consensus was divided. Half the troops liked the fizzie limeade and the others preferred the still water. We are a house divided quite often, but that’s the fun when making something from scratch – I can make something for everyone.