Why not, I wonder. It’s easy to make and certainly a refreshing thirst quencher when the heat index is high!
All you need to make a pitcher of this limeade is 6 to 8 limes and either a bottle of sparkling water for a fizzie drink or you can just use filtered water.
I made both varieties and of course the consensus was divided – half the troops liked the fizzie limeade and the others preferred the flat water. We are a house divided quite often, but that’s the fun when making from scratch, I can make something for everyone.
Making almost any fruit drink from scratch is quite easy. Use a blender to liquify the fruit, add water and taste for sweetness adding your preferred sweetener, stir and serve over ice. How Simple!
Although when using citrus fruits they need to be peeled before adding them to the blender. Or, no need to remove the skins from the citrus fruits and you can use a citrus juicer, the hand held variety works perfectly if you do not want to use a blender.
I like to sweeten the Limeade though I know there are some who prefer it unsweetened. For a sweetener you can quickly make a simple syrup using 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. The sweetness level is a matter of personal taste so you can add more or less sweetness as desired.
I do not use granulated sugar if I can substitute another form of sweetener. I like to use honey so I just simmered 1 cup of water and added in 1/2 cup of honey, stirred until the honey dissolved and set it aside to cool.
- 1 cup of lime juice or juice from 6 limes
- 1-2 quarts filtered water (or use sparkling water)
- 1/2 cup honey simple syrup (taste for desired sweetness level)
- Add ice cubes and garnish with lime slices
- Squeeze the juice from the limes and strain to remove pulp if desired. You can also use bottled lime juice if you don't have limes.
- Add in one quart of filtered water to the lime juice, taste and add more water if necessary.
- You can also use bottled sparkling water if you like in place of the filtered water.
- Add in the simple syrup and taste. Add in more sugar/honey if desired.
- Serve over ice with a slice of lime and fresh mint.