Stars and Stripes Firecracker Cookies are ready for all your patriotic celebrations.
It’s time to #fillthecookiejar this month, and with a little help from my taste testers, we came up with this fun cookie using pop rocks candy for the added firecracker punch. June has been a very busy month and I wasn’t sure would have time to bake. I kept on plugging away, I knew this was going to be a fun cookie to decorate.
You can use your favorite cut out cookie recipe and decorate away. If you are short on time you can also use refrigerator sugar dough, roll the dough out and use your favorite cookie cutters. I made this Quick & Easy Shortbread Cookie recipe for the Stars and Stripes Firecracker Cookies.
Yesterday when I was cutting out the cookies it was quite warm in my kitchen and the cut outs were getting out of shape.
Here’s a quick TIP: I covered the dough disk with plastic wrap when rolling it and then I placed it on a small sheet pan and put in the freezer for minutes. When I removed the dough from the freezer it was just right for cutting out the shapes.
For the drizzle on this cookie I melted white chocolate disks and added gel food coloring to make the red and blue. There is no magic recipe to how many drops of food coloring you will need. It’s really a matter of color preference – of course start with only a few drops at a time. It’s always better to start with a small amount and stir in a drop or two more each time.
- Use your favorite Cut Out Cookie recipe.
- ¾ cup of white chocolate disks - Separated
- Red and Blue Gel Food Coloriing
- Prepare your cookie dough, cut out shapes and bake. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool before decorating.
- Divide the white chocolate disks - ¼ cup into 3 separate small bowls, and melt in microwave.
- Place the first bowl of white chocolate into the microwave for 20 seconds. Remove and stir continuously until all the disks are melted. Drizzle over cookies and let cool.
- Continue with the next bowl of disks, melt, stir, and add the next gel food color & stirring until well blended, continue and repeat until desired color is reached.
- Drizzle over cookies on rack and chill for 10 minutes.
- Continue with the last bowl of disks, add gel color and repeat until you have decorated all the cookies.
- While the last drizzle of chocolate is still wet sprinkle with pop rocks candy. Then Chill!
I’ve shared this recipe with #FillTheCookieJar group this month. If you would like to bake with the Fill The Cookie Jar group, please contact Cynthia at Feeding Big.
This is a really fun cookie recipe to make with the kids. They will enjoy helping cut out the shapes and drizzling the cookies with the melted chocolate and pop rocks.