This is another one of my “cooking with kids” posts that I’m so happy to be able to share.
I love being in the kitchen and when the boys come to me with a recipe they want to make I’m thrilled.
I was a little skeptical about the ease of this recipe but I went along with Chris and followed his lead. It was really a quick and easy recipe. Although you need to be prepared for the ‘shenanigans’ when the kids are having a good time in the kitchen. It’s so worth it, and as I’ve said before, we all learn something in the end.
So let’s get started. The prep is easy: mix ingredients, knead for 5 minutes, cover with plastic wrap & let sit for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes (or it could be longer, not a problem) cut pieces off the dough. Roll out the cut pieces and form them into your desired shapes. Brush tops with egg wash.
One TIP, be sure not to roll the dough too thin. If they are thin than be sure to reduce the baking time.Print
Easy Pretzel Twists
This recipe was given to the students in the ‘life skills/home ec’ class.
- Category: Snack
- 1 1/4 tsp. dry yeast
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Course Salt for Topping
- In a large stainless steel mixing bowl add the warm water sprinkle the yeast over the water and let dissolve.
- Stir in the sugar and the salt.
- Blend in the flour, stir until flour is well blended and then knead until the dough is smooth. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough back in the mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- When ready to make the pretzels, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Cut the dough into small pieces and roll the pieces into desired shapes.
- Place the shaped pretzel dough on the aluminum foil covered pan and brush tops with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the course salt over the tops of the pretzels.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the tops have started to brown.
- If desired you can sprinkle grated cheese on top of the baked pretzels and heat in the microwave before serving.
Yes, it really is very easy, and yes, the pretzels are soft and dip-worthy. Here is an easy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce if you want to ‘dip’!