An easy to make fresh very berry sorbet for a refreshing summer treat takes practically no time at all to make and it’s gluten free with no refined sugar.
Very Berry Sorbet
The fresh berries this summer have been sweet and abundant. I had berries sitting in the fridge this week for a few days longer than expected. They are sweet and just ‘ripe’ for making sorbet.
It’s hot, I know, but you’ll stay cool making this easy sorbet. A blender or food processor is the workhorse for this recipe and if you have preserves in the pantry or fridge you are ready to make a sweet treat.
You can also make your own preserves, which I would do maybe in the cooler months, but it would take a lot of fresh fruit and it might be a budget buster.
I’m guessing many of you have a fresh lemon, a pinch of salt and water available so you can make this at any time and any day in just a few minutes.
Ready? Let’s stay cool and make sorbet. It’s really simple, the recipe is below, but here’s a quick head start. 10 minutes for prep time is all you need – then freeze..
Add the berries and preserves to the blender or food processor and puree until smooth. I used strawberries and blueberries so I strained the puree to keep the chunkier blueberry skins out of the sorbet.
Add to a freezer container, cover with plastic wrap along with the cover for the container and freeze.
My photos show different colors of the berry mixture when prepping and the final frozen Very Berry Sorbet. The reason is two-fold, (1) my indoor lighting, and (2) when frozen the sorbet became darker from the blueberries.Print
Very Berry Sorbet
Very Berry Sorbet is a delicious fresh berry frozen dessert you can make anytime. Prep takes only 10 minutes. Just allow 3 to 5 hours to freeze. It’s best to make this early in the day for an afternoon frozen treat to chill with on a hot summer day.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Total Time: 3-5 hrs. chill time
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups of fresh strawberries and blueberries, rinsed and dried, hulls removed (the total amount of fruit is 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup of strawberry preserves (or use your favorite)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (I splurged and used Limoncello liquer)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Add the berries to the processor or blender with ½ cup of the preserves. Puree until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, water and salt and pulse until well mixed. If you have a lot of skins or seeds you can strain the puree through cheesecloth.
- Taste for sweetness – add 1 tablespoon of preserves as needed. The mixture should taste sweeter than you would like. When the fruit freezes it looses some of the sweetness.
- Place in a freezer container, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for approx. 2 hours. Remove from the freezer and with a fork scrape through the mixture. Smooth the mixture over with the back of a spoon and re-wrap. Freeze for a least 3-5 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving.
Keywords: fresh berry sorbet, frozen dessert, easy summer recipe, #dessert
This easy to make Very Berry Sorbet is an easy frozen summer treat you can make anytime. It makes a beautiful presentation for any occasion or just because!