Making an apple crumb pie is very easy especially if you have leftover homemade cookies to make the pie crust and the crumb topping. This quick and easy recipe can be made anytime at all.
Rather than using a traditional pie crust I decided to make a cookie crust to save time. I also decided to make individual, or you could say, personal size pies since I only had a few apples left.
After making these delicious Almond Butter Cookies I thought these would make a great crust for a pie since they were a little bit on the healthy side of the scale.
If you follow me you might know that I’m always looking for a healthier option on old standard desserts. Since I’m a dessert lover and my family loves snacks it has become my mission make homemade treats that I know are a little healthier than store bought. I’m always hoping that the dessert turns out so delicious know one will ever know that it’s made with a ‘pinch of healthy’.
- 2-4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced (or use your favorite type of apple)
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- 1-2 tbls. cornstarch
- 2 tbls. coconut sugar (taste for sweetness & add either less or more as desired)
- 12 crushed almond butter cookies
- 3 tbls. melted butter (I use Smart Balance)
- 4 crushed almond butter cookies
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- 1-2 tbls. butter
- ¼ cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- Taste for sweetness, adding a tablespoon of coconut sugar based on desired sweetness)
- In a medium bowl add the crush cookies and butter and stir together with a fork until the crumbs come together in a ball. If too dry add another teaspoon of butter and continue to blend or if too sticky add a little more crumbs. Spread crumbs into the bottom and a little bit up the sides of the pie plate and set aside.
- Slice apples and add to a large bowl and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add to the apples the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and sugar and stir well.
- Spoon the apples into the prepared pie plate with the cookie crust.
- Into a small bowl add the cookie crumbs, oats, butter and nuts. Mix together to get a crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of the apple filling.
- Bake pie 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- P.S. You will note that I didn't add sugar to the crumb topping since the homemade cookies I use were already sweetened. However feel free to add additional sugar if you wish.
When I cut a slice of pie I just can’t resist topping it with a scoop of ice cream. Don’t fret though, you don’t need ice cream, you can serve this Apple Crumb Pie with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar to anyone and everyone who loves dessert.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE APPLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
PLEASE SHARE &