Peppermint Candy Cookies
festive cookies for Christmas cookie exchanges. A basic sugar cookie recipe and crushed candy canes is the start of a very merry cookie.
This is a basic and simple sugar cookie recipe that can easily take on holiday flavors to make each cookie special. Adding a pinch or two of peppermint extract or crushed candy canes to the dough for the peppermint flavors makes these perfect for any holiday cookie exchange.
To go one step further add a drop of peppermint extract to the royal icing as well and sprinkle crushed peppermint candy to the icing before it dries. This Peppermint Candy Cookie will delight Ol’ Saint Nick.
You can make a basic sugar glaze using confectioners sugar and water or make a royal icing which is what I made using corn syrup in place of meringue powder. The corn syrup made the glaze shiny and it gives the cookie a nice crunch as well. I didn’t take photos this time since I was ‘home alone’ and grampy wasn’t there to grab the camera for me while my hands were full of sticky sugar.
TIPS: *Sift flour first and then measure out the 2 cups of flour. *When rolling out the dough use confectioners sugar to keep dough from sticking to the wax paper and rolling pin.Print
Candy Cane Peppermint Cookies
Candy Cane Peppermint Cookies is an easy recipe adapted from Domino Sugar. This recipe yields 24-30 cookies based on the 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter I used.
- Prep Time: 10-14 min.
- Cook Time: 10-12 min.
- Total Time: 30 min.
- Yield: approx. 2 1/2 dz.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup or 6 tbls. butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated Monk Fruit sugar (OR use your preferred sweetener equivalent)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a small bowl add the sifted 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Stir in a third of the flour at a time, blending well after each addition until smooth. The dough will be stiff.
- Lay out a sheet of wax paper, sprinkle with confectioners sugar, and roll out about a third of the dough to 1/4 inch.
- Cut out desired shapes, remove to prepared cookie sheet, and continue until all the dough is used.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden color.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack before decorating.
Keywords: Easy sugar cookie recipe, peppermint cookies, peppermint candy cookie, Christmas cookie recipe
This recipe was originally shared with the Fill The Cookie Jar Group.