Flavored pop corn comes in so many varieties you can make a different flavor for everyone – well, maybe not if you have a large crowd – but you can narrow it down so everyone will find something they like.
We are a chocolate loving family so chocolate drizzled pop corn was a slam dunk.
Feel free to be more creative and add in nuts, gummy candy, sprinkles, peanut butter, caramel . . . the possibilities are endless.
To make this as easy as possible you can buy your favorite brand of packaged pop corn. Just open the bag and lay it out on to a lined baking tray and ‘go to town’ with the mix ins.
Feel free to make your own fresh pop corn, it’s really just a matter of your personal preference. I just took a short cut this weekend.
Having the kids help with this is always fun and they can choose their favorite mix in.
Making specialty pop corn is definitely NOT rocket science. The measurements are just a guide to get started. You can always add, leave out, or add more or less of an ingredient(s) to please your favorite snackers.
You may notice by the two photos I’ve added that I made two batches of pop corn. One batch has just a light drizzle of both dark and white chocolate which most everyone loved. The other batch has more dark chocolate covered pop corn and white chocolate drizzle – this was the chocolate lover’s favorite.
- 6 cups of pop corn (approximately 2 large bags of your favorite pop corn)
- ½ cup of chocolate chips (milk or dark chocolate)
- ½ cup of white melting chocolate
- ¼ tsp. shortening (for each chocolate you are melting)
- Lay out the popped pop corn on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Or, you can add the popped corn to a very large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate using double boiler method or the microwave. I find for this quick recipe that the microwave is fine. Be sure to melt the chocolate at 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval. Usually two 20 second sessions is enough. The chocolate chips will still be solid but with continuous stirring they will melt into the perfect temperature.
- Using a fork drizzle the melted chocolate over the pop corn. Add as much or as little as you choose. Let the chocolate harden, approx. 20 minutes, before adding the white chocolate.
- If you want to cover more of the pop corn with chocolate then using a bowl is the way to stir in the melted chocolate to cover as much of the kernels as possible.
- After you have covered the pop corn with the chocolate spread it out on the lined baking sheet to dry.
- Add in any of your favorite candy, nuts and you can also drizzle on more chocolate if your wish.
Sit back, Enjoy The Movie! or Cheer on your Favorite Team!