A hearty lentil vegetable soup ready to warm you up on a blustery winter day. A delicious Meatless Monday or meal for any wintery day.
Lentil vegetable soup is a quick prep recipe, takes about 10 minutes. When time is short on a very hectic day making soup can be a life saver. This recipe for lentil vegetable soup has a bonus, you can make it in advance and have it ready when you are.
During the winter when the weather is unpredictable and we are unable to get out to shop our fridge might be a little bare. You can use whatever vegetables you have – frozen, leftovers, or maybe a vegetable or two that is not enough to make anything but it’s great to add to soup.
Growing up lentil soup was a staple on my mom’s menu. It was a basic and simple lentil soup and as I remember she didn’t add vegetables but she always added pasta. Sometimes it would be elbow macaroni, and my grandmother’s favorite add in was broken spaghetti or sometimes she would add in white rice.
Making this soup is easy and to give it lots of flavor saute onions and garlic, along with diced carrots and celery. Then add in the rinsed lentils and the liquid.
Cook for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. There you have it, a ‘make in advance meal’ when schedules are hectic and dinner can be ready in no time flat!Print
Lentil Vegetable Soup
Easy Hearty Lentil Vegetable Soup is a vegetarian recipe for any time, and can be prepared in advance. Serve when ready.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Cuisine: Dinner
- 2 tbls. avocado oil (or your favorite light cooking oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup lentils (rinsed)
- 3 quarts of vegetable stock (you can use half water and half stock – add bouillon for additional flavor if needed)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- pinch of thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups of elbow macaroni, cook according to package directions (1 cup for 2 servings – 2 cups for 4-5 servings)
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Saute the onions just until they begin to soften, then add in the carrots and celery. Cook about 3-5 minutes and then add in the garlic. Stir well and cook another 2-4 minutes stirring often so nothing sticks or starts to burn.
- Now stir in the lentils and cook a couple of minutes and then add in the liquid stirring well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer and add in the thyme if using
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a soup bowl add a scoop of cooked pasta and then ladle in the soup.
I added fresh chopped spinach with a couple of leftover mushrooms that I had and chopped them along with the carrots and celery for a hearty vegetarian soup.
This lentil vegetable soup is delicious and a recipe that is flexible and can be very economical. You can use your pantry and fridge ingredients without having to run out to buy special items.
PLEASE SHARE &