Beef Stew Bourguignon Style
This recipe was adapted from Beef Bourguignon recipe in allrecipes.com magazine.
- Prep Time: 35 min. + 30 min. chill time
- Cook Time: 2-3 hrs. slow cook
- Total Time: 2-3 hours
- Yield: 3-5 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups dry red wine – OR – 1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2-3 lbs. beef cubes for stew
- 6 tbls. vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 4-6 strips of bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbls. tomato paste
- 2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can low sodium beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Additional wine (or you can use water and/or beef broth) to add when stew is cooking to thin out the sauce.
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- To marinate the beef cubes add to a bowl with [wine if using] or use fresh squeezed orange juice, bay leaf, garlic and salt and pepper. Cover and chill approximately 30 minutes or longer if you have the time.
Prepare The Stew
- Remove the beef from the wine and drain on paper towels. Reserve the wine to use later.
- In a 5 quart Dutch Oven heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the beef and sear on all sides, remove and set aside. If necessary add more oil and continue until all the beef is seared, remove to large bowl.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp, remove and add to the same bowl with the seared beef.
- Discard the bacon drippings from the pan. Now add in about ½ cup of the reserved wine to the pan and with a wooden spoon scrape up the browned bits, simmering the wine for about 1 minute and pour back into the bowl with the beef.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan on medium to high and add in the chopped onions and carrots, stirring often cook for about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the bowl with the beef and bacon.
- Preheat Oven to 300 Degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil to the dutch oven and stir in the flour, cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously just until light brown. Add in the tomato paste and garlic and stir well until blended and then add in the reserved marinade and beef broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring this mixture to a boil and stir well to prevent lumps cooking until slightly thickened – approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef and vegetables to the pot stirring gently to distribute everything.
- Place the dutch oven uncovered into the preheated 300 degree oven to cook, stirring every 20-30 minutes. The stew will thicken as it cooks and you can add additional water, beef broth or red wine as needed to taste.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the beef is tender.
Prepare the Mushrooms
- While the stew is cooking, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms, stirring until lightly browned – 5 to 7 minutes depending on how large the mushrooms are.
- Stir the mushrooms into the cooked stew, let sit for a few minutes to distribute flavors and serve.
NOTE: There are several steps to prep this recipe, but the prep goes quickly. It’s is so worth making this delicious comfort food meal in the cold days of winter.
Keywords: beef stew, beef Bourguignon, comfort food, slow cooker, oven bake, dutch oven