A very easy vegetarian side dish can also be a delicious meatless meal anytime is Farro with Spinach and Mushrooms.
Farro With Spinach and Mushrooms
Introducing farro to my family is taking time, actually quite a long time and it’s taking them quite a long time to accept it. I had the same issue when I introduced quinoa a while ago but eventually they grew to like it.
I’ve made quinoa in many variations and a combination of flavors so why not swap out the quinoa for farro.
This past year I’ve been adding farro in my soups which I think is a good way to introduce a new grain. Since I always add barley to my soups the farro blended in very nicely and no one seemed to notice.
This easy farro with spinach and mushrooms recipe is one of my favorite #MeatlessMonday meals and a delicious vegetarian recipe as well. Yes, for me personally this is a meal. However, it’s also a delicious family side dish for any of your favorite chicken, fish or meat dinners.
This dish takes about 20 minutes to make with some prep work – slicing the onions, mushrooms and spinach – but you can do a little of the prep earlier in the day.
For a head start, cook the farro according to package directions in advance, and slice the mushrooms and spinach while the farro is cooking. Then set them aside for later. That will allow you to have this dish ready without much effort.
Then 20 minutes before you want to serve dinner you can prepare the remainder of the dish.
Cook the farro according to package directions. If you purchase the ‘pearled’ variety it takes approximately 15-20 minutes to cook.
Slice 8 oz. package of mushrooms and 2 cups of fresh baby spinach leaves. Slicing the spinach is quick and easy to do. Cut everything about the same size which helps to make serving easier.
While the farro is cooking, add a little oil to a saute pan and saute the chopped onion and garlic, cook until translucent then add in sliced mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add a tablespoon of butter, season with salt and pepper, a squeeze or two of lemon juice and maybe a splash of wine and cook just until the flavors come together – approximately a minute or two.Print
Farro with Spinach and Mushrooms
An easy vegetarian recipe to make, Farro With Spinach and Mushrooms is a delicious side dish to make anytime. This is also a great light supper with a side salad if you choose to eat light.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 15-20 min.
- Total Time: 30-40 min.
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup farro
- 8-10 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, cut in strips
- 1-2 tbls. avocado oil (or use your favorite light oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbls. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional) – or use a little more fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. chopped rosemary (use amount to taste or optional)
- 1-2 tbls. chopped parsley
1. Cook the farro according to package directions. Drain when cooked and set aside.
2. While the farro is cooking, heat oil in a 10″ saute pan and add in the chopped onion and garlic, cook until translucent – approx. 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in the sliced mushrooms and cook 2 to 3 minutes with the onions and garlic just to combine the flavors.
4. Stir in the drained farro to the pan with the mushrooms and sitr just to combine the flavors.
5. Add in the lemon juice and wine if using and stir to combine, cook a minute or two.
6. Add in the vegetable broth and stir well. Cover and cook for a few minutes unitl the flavors come together – approximately 5-7 minutes. If needed you can add more vegetable broth if all the liquid has been absorbed, add in the herbs and continue to cook.
7. Add seasoning to taste and stir in the spinach until the spinach softens – aprox. 30 seconds – and stir in chopped parsley.
Keywords: Farro, salad, vegetarian side dish, easy recipe
This easy to make Farro with Spinach and Mushrooms is a delicious vegetarian option for guests. It is also a delicious side dish that will pair well with chicken, burgers and more.