How to Make Mint Julep Family Friendly
is easier than you think.
A basic and simple Mint Julep recipe calls for sugar, water, fresh mint leaves and Bourbon. Considered a classic cocktail and often referred to as iconic, the Mint Julep is synonymous with the Kentucky Derby.
This classic drink has more than one “classic” recipe. There’s the Classic Mint Julep – The Southern Mint Julep – and even a Champagne Mint Julep. There are dozens of recipes on the internet and Pinterest to find one you might want to make.
At first I thought it just doesn’t seem right to remake this classic drink that originally is served at the Kentucky Derby. It’s almost a crime that the alcohol in this minty sweet drink keeps it from being family friendly.
I always like to make drinks that are non-alcoholic so the kids can also enjoy something different. We can enjoy this Mint Julep with all its sweetness and minty flavor. Just eliminate the strong Bourbon, and add a hint of healthy. I can hear you all now asking why ‘healthy?’ in a drink. Adding a little fresh ginger in with the mint when making the mint syrup somehow gives this makeover the strength it needs.
You can then add in either ginger ale or if you like lemon lime flavor you can add in sprite or 7-Up. By adding the soda it will give you a sparkling type drink. If you do not want a sparkling drink you can use iced tea, lemonade or limeade concentrates (there’s a Disney version that uses concentrate). Any of these options will be delicious, just choose your favorite.Print
How To Make Mint Julep Family Friendly
How To Make Mint Julep Family Friendly recipe can be served all spring and summer too the entire family. Traditionally Mint Julep is served during the Kentucky Derby but there is no reason we can make it delicious and refreshing for the entire family to enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 min.
- Total Time: 10 min.
- Yield: 1 1/2 Litres
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. grated ginger
- 1/2 cup granulated Monk Fruit (use your preferred sugar alternative)
- 1 cup fresh Mint leaves, removed from the stems
- 1 litre of Ginger Ale (or Iced Tea, lemonade, sprite)
- Chipped or Crushed Ice
- Add the sugar, minced ginger and water in a small pan and cook on medium heat just until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into a large jar to cool.
- Add the mint leaves to the cooled water, making sure the mint is fully immersed in the water. Leave it for several hours or overnight to let the flavors steep into the water.
- On the day you are serving, pour your desired choice of beverage into a large pitcher. Pour the minted sugar water through a strainer into the pitcher. (This will keep the pieces of ginger and mint from from getting into the pitcher.)
- Taste for sweetness and you can add more by dissolving a little sugar and water as desired. If the beverage is too sweet just add in a little more soda or tea, or add water.
- Stir in a couple of fresh mint leaves for garnish.
- Serve with crushed ice in each glass.
For this How to Make Mint Julep Family Friendly recipe post today I used ginger ale since that was what I had on hand.
You can make this easy family friendly Mint Julep recipe in a large batch. Add to your drink selections for your spring and summer gatherings. Something different to add to the assortment of drinks you will be serving to your guests.
Keep a large bucket of crushed ice nearby. So as to not dilute the ‘mocktail’ add the ice after you fill each glass and enjoy a refreshing drink.
PLEASE SHARE &