Lemon Iced Lemon Cookies
are full of bright lemony goodness!
Lemony lemon iced lemon cookies is a special cookie full of tart lemon flavor and sweetened with a lemon glaze.
I can hear you saying how could a cookie be special? . . . it’s the lemon flavors that jump out and speak to you, need I say more!
Tasting the cookies while they are still warm gives you a burst of lemon flavor. A cold glass of milk is a great pairing. Then I tasted another cookie and loved all the lemon flavor in every bite.
This is a delicious cookie for every summer dessert table. The lemon iced glaze just screams summer!
I’ve made this easy to make sugar cookie recipe several times. It’s adapted from a sugar cookie recipe I found a few years ago on Fine Cooking.
The process is basic – mix the wet ingredients then add in the dry ingredients – this takes about 5 minutes.
Scoop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake 10 to 13 minutes. Simple.
The fun part is the decorating. The kids always have their own ideas and are willing to help if they can make a mess, which I just love, it’s my favorite time. The results are always delicious and the memories are priceless!
For the lemon ‘iced’ glaze I made simple sugar glaze using fresh squeezed lemon juice for the liquid instead of using water or milk. Just add 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar to a small bowl adding a few drops of the lemon juice a little at a time, stirring vigorously, until you reach the desired consistency.
Be sure the cookies are completely cooled before adding the lemon ‘iced’ glaze. We added some yellow sugar and sprinkles just for fun.
Lemon Iced Lemon Cookies
Lemon Iced Lemon Cookies is a very easy sugar cookie recipe adapted from a sugar cookie recipe I found a few years ago on Fine Cooking.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 13-15 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: approx. 2 dozen
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used 1 cup each of AP Flour & White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated Sugar (I used Monk Fruit)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature but not too soft
- 2 tbs. vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl sift the flour baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or you can use a hand mixer) beat the sugar, butter, shortening and lemon zest on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg to the sugar/butter mixture and mix for a few seconds to combine. Add in the vanilla, lemon juice and honey and continue to mix at medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Now add in the flour mixture and mix on low for a few seconds. Scrape down the bowl and mix on medium-low speed until just until the dough is well blended – approx. 15-25 seconds.
- Using a cookie scoop, 1 tablespoon size, scoop dough onto prepared pan and flatten to approx. 1/4 inch, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the edges are golden and the tops are cracked but not completely set, 13 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: sugar cookie recipe, easy dessert, lemon cookies
This is an easy cookie recipe you can make any time of the year. For all your favorite ‘lemon lovers’ this is a delicious treat for birthdays or just because!
PLEASE SHARE &
This recipe was shared with the #FillTheCookieJar group. Cynthia at Feeding Big.