Cherry Chocolate Chunk Cookies
are the perfect pairing of cherries and chocolate.
Fresh cherries have been in abundance and are so juicy and sweet. I’ve been looking for ways to use cherries as much as possible and these delicious cherry chocolate chunk cookies is just one of the recipes I’ve made.
Here is a ‘did you know?’: Cherries are low in calories and bursting with nutritional benefits. I’m thinking this is one fruit you just can’t refuse.
This nutrient rich ‘powerfood’ can help you sleep better, protect against Alzeheimer’s, and help reduce inflammation to name just a few of the many health benefits found in the antioxidant rich cherries. You can read about some of the nutritional benefits of cherries here
With all the deliciousness of the cherries and its health benefits it seems that we have a somewhat healthy cherry chocolate chunk cookie. I’m happy to be sharing it with #FillTheCookieJar this month. Oh, and of course you know that dark chocolate is also a ‘good for you’ food . . .!!
This is a very easy and basic cookie dough I found on myrecipes.com. The dough is mixed in a food processor and takes all of 3 or 4 minutes (I only have a mini food processor and it was just the right size for this cookie recipe).
Next I just chopped some of the fresh cherries and the chocolate squares and in less than 15 minutes the cookies are ready to bake. A quick and easy recipe to bake on a warm summer day. The cherries I had were quite large and since I do not have a cherry pitter I used a knife to cut the cherries. This was so easy and it took only a few minutes.
Today was my lucky day, the cherry chocolate chunk cookies were nicely browned and the cherries were a nice addition.
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup sugar (I used Monk Fruit)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 6 Tbls. chilled butter
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup chopped cherries
- 4 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor add the sugars and process until they are well mixed.
- While the processor is running add in the chilled butter a few pieces at a time, process until the sugar butter mixture is smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg white and vanilla and pulse a few times until blended.
- Add in the flour and pulse until the flour is fully incorporated - only takes 10 - 20 pulses.
- Scrape out the batter into a bowl and stir in the chopped cherries and chocolate chunks.
- Using a tablespoon size cookie scoop, drop onto prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- The dough does not spread. Flatten the dough using the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
I’m sharing this recipe with the #FillTheCookieJar group this month.
Each month the #FillTheCookieJar group shares our cookie creations. If you enjoy baking and would like to bake with the group each month contact Cynthia at Feeding Big.