This refreshing crunchy quinoa salad with citrus dressing can be served in any season. An easy recipe you can make in advance especially when entertaining.
Crunchy Quinoa Salad
Using your favorite fresh fruits and vegetables of the season and granny smith apples, this crunchy quinoa salad is a snap to make.
When the weather is steamy this crunchy quinoa salad is a quick and easy supper. In less than 15 minutes you will have a plate full of delicious fresh flavors and sweetness to enjoy after a hectic busy day.
We are fortunate that many fresh fruits and vegetables are available anytime of the year. Just add everyone’s favorite fruits and veggies and you are almost guaranteed this will be a hit.
Making a hearty quinoa salad doesn’t take too much effort or thought. My favorite way to dress up a salad is adding crunch and sweetness hoping it will appeal to everyone. Or, when you need a salad for a large gathering, this quinoa salad is almost the perfect salad to add to the menu.
This easy citrus dressing for the crunchy quinoa salad is quick to make using a mini processor. In a few seconds the dressing is emulsified and ready when you are. It’s has a hint of sweetness and a bit of tartness which will appeal to almost everyone making this your signature salad.
Summer salads are great especially when there is a heat wave. You might also enjoy this very easy Caprese Style Quinoa Salad.
TIP: You can serve the crunchy quinoa salad with a variety of dressings on the side. Now you have a salad everyone will enjoy.Print
Crunchy Quinoa Salad
Crunchy Quinoa Salad can be made in advance. It’s a hearty delicious salad as a side dish or a main meal on a hot summer day. This will serve 4 to 6 as a side with dinner.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Cook Time: 15-20 min.
- Total Time: 30-40 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 small bunch of baby kale
- 1 head of romaine lettuce,
- 1 small bunch of baby spinach
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 4 tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
Citrus Dressing Ingredients
- 1 small shallot
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or any light vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 2 tbls. chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. When cooked set aside and chill.
- Rinse all the fresh greens and cut up into small chunks and add to a large bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the fresh greens.
- Cut up the shallot into small pieces so it’s easier to chop in the mini processor. Juice the fresh lemon and fresh orange and set aside 2 to 3 tablespoons each for the dressing. Add all the ingredients into a mini processor, using only 2 tablespoons of lemon and orange juice and pulse until well blended.
- Taste and add either more lemon or orange juice to taste, or vinegar as needed.
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss approximately 30 minutes before serving.
- Chill and serve when ready.
Keywords: Quinoa salad, crunch apples, fresh spinach, summer salad
Here is another helpful TIP: To make this even easier if you are short on time, you can use packaged mixed greens. Add in whatever fresh fruit you might already have – strawberries, peaches, apricots – the crunch is from the apples and carrots . . .
Make the quinoa in advance, a day or two is o.k., and it will be chilled and ready when you are. Using these few tips you can have a quick and easy summer dinner salad ready in less than 15 minutes.
PLEASE SHARE &