Apple Cut Out Sour Cream Cookies
Keeping the kids entertained on a rainy day is can be easy if you engage them in the kitchen to make cookies.They always enjoy cutting out cookie dough.
These easy apple cut out sour cream cookies is a new recipe I tried. Adding sour cream gave a little more moisture to the dough and was very easy to work with and I liked the texture of this dough. It was not as crumbly as a shortbread dough and the cookie was tender.
Fall is the theme to Fill the Cookie Jar this month and I was not coming up with any ideas. When I asked the boys what comes to mind when they think of fall they finally said apples after a few other silly ideas they tossed around. Thank goodness they have patience to amuse me.
Making this easy sour cream cookie dough was a very easy process, mixing a few ingredients at a time and in about 5 minutes the dough is made. Since this dough needs to be chilled you can make it in advance. It will stay in the fridge for 2-3 days and will be ready when it’s time for you to make the cookies.
We decorated our apple cutout sour cream cookies – ‘green apples’ – using neon green food coloring in a simple blend of confectioners sugar, corn syrup and a few drops of water. I’ve been making this glaze for so long I just use my eye for consistency.
If you would prefer a royal icing you can find a variety of recipes on Pinterest or you can make a meringue royal icing using Wilton’s meringue powder, there is a recipe in the package.Print
Apple Cutout Sour Cream Cookies
You can make this sour cream ‘shortbread style’ dough up to 2-3 days in advance. Decorate with a sugar glaze or royal icing.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 8-12 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min (chill time)
- Yield: approx. 16 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups of AP Flour, set aside
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a medium size bowl beat the butter with a hand mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and blend just until well combined.
- Add in the egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla and blend until well combined.
- Slowly add in the flour and mix just until blended.
- Turn dough out onto plastic wrap and form a ball, cut in two sections and wrap up in the plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch and cut out shapes. Place cutouts 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-11 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on pan for about 10 minutes, continue to cool on wire racks before decorating.
Keywords: back to school cookies, apple cut out cookies, sour cream cookie recipe, fall dessert
There is always a special day to honor and celebrate teachers. Make this cookie for your child’s class to share with everyone. This is an easy recipe and delicious cookie you can make using any shape cookie cutter. Decorate with colors to go with the cookie cutter theme you choose.
PLEASE SHARE &
This recipe was originally shared with the #FillTheCookieJar group. You can see more cookies from #FillTheCookieJar group over at Feeding Big.