All Purpose Homemade Baking Mix
will be your lucky charm for those times when you just can’t get to the stores.
Life comes with lots of hurdles that can keep us from running out just when we want to cook and realize we are missing an ingredient.
This all purpose homemade baking mix is something to keep in your pantry all year round. You can use it to make pancakes, waffles, muffins and biscuits when the moods strikes or when that blizzard hits.
How about when you are just about ready to put dinner on the table and you forgot the rolls, you can whip up a batch of biscuits and dinner is ‘saved’!
Be prepared for those times we are housebound when those unexpected hurdles prevent us from going out, you’ll always have all purpose baking mix available so you can at least make breakfast dinner or something to cheer everyone when cabin fever sets in.
A while ago I posted a homemade ‘bisquick’ style recipe HERE if you are a bisquick user. It’s also very quick and easy to make.
The difference with the ‘bisquick’ style homemade mix and this all purpose homemade baking mix is that this recipe does not include adding the shortening or butter. It will stay in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. This is definitely a keeper.
- 6¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Nonfat Dry Milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium/large bowl using a whisk.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
- 2eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbls. honey
- 1 tsp.vanilla
- Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl and then gently stir in 2 cups of Baking Mix and blend just until moistened. The batter will be lumpy.
- Gently fold in ⅔ cup of berries or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan and bake 15 minutes, or until tops spring back or an inserted toothpick comes out dry,
Take a few minutes to put together this easy baking mix and you’ll be always prepared. All you will need is flour, dry milk powder, sugar, salt and baking powder, pretty much essentials we usually have except maybe the dry milk.
Next time you are shopping pick up instant dry milk, it has a very long shelf life – you’ll be prepared for emergencies!
Here are the two recipes you can make at home with a few basic staples to have on hand and you’ll be prepared for baking at any time: