Empanadas You Make Now Freeze For Later Air Fryer Recipe
Make these Empanadas in advance, freeze them for when time is short or if you are party planning. These can be either oven baked or made in the air fryer. A genius idea . . .
I’m always looking for quick and easy recipes. There are days that are so busy there’s no time to cook a real meal. For those days when stress takes it’s toll on you having something in the freezer to heat up is just what you need.
This recipe for empanadas you make now freeze for later air fryer recipe is great to make on a rainy day and freeze them for those crazy days ahead.
There is a lot to like about this recipe. Of course it’s quick and easy. Make them when you have time and then freeze for later. All you need to do is spend an hour or two to make a double batch of empanadas and you’ll have snacks, a quick meal or lunches at your finger tips.
Using store bought dough to make empanadas is a definite time saver when life is hectic and you want to make something a little different especially if you like taking leftovers for your lunches.
This recipe can be either oven baked or made in the Air Fryer. My air fryer will hold about 6 empanadas at a time. I found this was a great help for me. While the first batch were in the air fryer I was making another batch. EASY……!
Fill the empanadas with your favorite ingredients. You can step out of your comfort zone and use shredded pork, chicken or add leftover beef stew, just don’t add the liquid.
I made a simple beef mixture and added in chopped chorizo which was leftover and it added great flavor. My family is not keen on different spices or flavorings so I keep everything simple. You can feel free to use your family’s favorite foods and flavors. That’s what makes family meals special so feel free to create your own fillings.
When days are crazy you can make a simple tomato salsa for a great side ‘salad’. Using the last of the garden tomatoes I chopped up fresh cilantro and parsley and if you like corn you can add that in as well. This recipe is very flexible so if you are super busy use a jar of your favorite salsa.Print
Beef and Cheese Empanadas Air Fryer Recipe
Beef and Cheese Empanadas air fryer recipe can also be oven baked. This is a very flexible recipes. Add in or change up the ingredients based on your favorites or leave out a ‘not-so-favorite’.
- Prep Time: 20-30 min.
- Cook Time: 15-22 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 6-12 approx.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Beef Filling:
- 2 tsp. avocado oil (or any light oil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped chorizo (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbls. chopped jalapeno
- 1-2 pkgs. flat crescent roll or refrigerated pie crust
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Tomato Salsa:
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked corn kernels
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbls. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. chopped jalapeno
- 2 tbls. fresh squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice)
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until translucent – approx. 3 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeno and then add in the chopped meat stirring with a wooden spoon to break it in small pieces and add in the chorizo if using. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned, approx. 5 minutes. Set aside to cool about 15 minutes and drain the liquid from the pan. Refrigerate until ready to prepare the empanadas. If making the empanadas right away you can keep the filling at room temperature.
- TO OVEN BAKE – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to get it as thin as possible, about ⅙ inch. Cut out circles about 5 inch rounds, use a cookie cutter or a plastic container and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling onto one half of the circle, sprinkle with some cheese, brush edges of the circle with egg wash fold over the dough and seal, pressing the edges using a fork. Poke a few holes in the top with the fork and brush tops with egg wash and bake 18-25 minutes. Baking time will depend on the size of the empanadas and your oven.
- When they are golden brown most likely they will be cooked.
- AIR FRYER RECIPE
- Preheat air fryer according to manufacturer directions.
- Spray the basket with cooking spray and add the empanadas to the basket. Cook at 340 degrees for 8 minutes. At that point check the empanadas, and continue to cook if they are not browned and cooked thru. Continue to cook a few more minutes until they are done. They should be nice and golden brown.
Keywords: empanadas, easy recipe, air fryer recipe, party food
For the dough you can find pre-made dough disks in your local supermarket. My supermarket was out of them so I used 2 rolls of crescent dough which turned out great. I’ve made them several times already and everyone really enjoys them for lunch or snacks.
Having a gathering or planning a party? Beef and Cheese Empanadas can be made a day in advance, refrigerate until ready to bake just before the guests arrive. These ‘hand’ pies are a delicious addition to the buffet table for any party, game-day or afternoon snacks.
For dinner, a party or game day snacks I would recommend heating the empanadas in the oven rather than the microwave.
PLEASE SHARE &