Beef and Cheese Empanadas Air Fryer Recipe
Beef and Cheese Empanadas air fryer recipe can also be oven baked. This is a very flexible recipes. Add in or change up the ingredients based on your favorites or leave out a ‘not-so-favorite’.
- Prep Time: 20-30 min.
- Cook Time: 15-22 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 6-12 approx.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Beef Filling:
- 2 tsp. avocado oil (or any light oil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped chorizo (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbls. chopped jalapeno
- 1-2 pkgs. flat crescent roll or refrigerated pie crust
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Tomato Salsa:
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked corn kernels
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbls. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. chopped jalapeno
- 2 tbls. fresh squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice)
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until translucent – approx. 3 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeno and then add in the chopped meat stirring with a wooden spoon to break it in small pieces and add in the chorizo if using. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned, approx. 5 minutes. Set aside to cool about 15 minutes and drain the liquid from the pan. Refrigerate until ready to prepare the empanadas. If making the empanadas right away you can keep the filling at room temperature.
- TO OVEN BAKE – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to get it as thin as possible, about ⅙ inch. Cut out circles about 5 inch rounds, use a cookie cutter or a plastic container and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling onto one half of the circle, sprinkle with some cheese, brush edges of the circle with egg wash fold over the dough and seal, pressing the edges using a fork. Poke a few holes in the top with the fork and brush tops with egg wash and bake 18-25 minutes. Baking time will depend on the size of the empanadas and your oven.
- When they are golden brown most likely they will be cooked.
- AIR FRYER RECIPE
- Preheat air fryer according to manufacturer directions.
- Spray the basket with cooking spray and add the empanadas to the basket. Cook at 340 degrees for 8 minutes. At that point check the empanadas, and continue to cook if they are not browned and cooked thru. Continue to cook a few more minutes until they are done. They should be nice and golden brown.
Keywords: empanadas, easy recipe, air fryer recipe, party food