Halloween Pumpkin Gummy Candy
is a fun project to do with the kids. Depending on their age they may need supervision but they will enjoy helping to add the gelatin to the pan and do the stirring.
If you follow me, you know that I try not to use refined sugar in my ‘sweet treats’ – and I make a LOT of sweet treats. However, we are in the ‘candy season’ and it’s often difficult to keep the sugar out.
There are very few times I splurge using refined sugar but Halloween is one of them.
We’ve made gummy candy several times. My grandson loves experimenting and he’s always searching for something to make with me. Today’s recipe was one of the new gummy candy recipes he recently found and he knew I would be happy to ‘play with him’ for this easy candy making venture.
So we set out to make Halloween pumpkin gummy candy using the new ‘simply good’ Jello that has ‘Natural Flavor with Other Natural Flavor’ and has NO Artificial Flavors, Dyes or Preservatives. We used the orange-tangerine flavor. The color was perfect for the pumpkins and the flavor was delicious.
This is a quick and easy project, a total of about 10 minutes from start to setting up the chilling. Total chill time should only take about an hour, although if it’s 90 degrees in the shade in your neighborhood add more chilling time.
So let’s get started with this simple recipe that the kids are going to scream over. Use their favorite jello flavors to achieve the gummy candy they will enjoy.
You will need #1. a package of flavored jello, #2. two individual packages of unflavored gelatin and #3. plain old water. That’s it, OH, and you will need a candy mold with holiday shapes of your choice or you can just use ice cube trays.
Ice cube trays are just perfect. Be sure to only fill half way or the candy will take very long to set up. You can also drop in candy as I did which is easier to do in the ice cube trays (in the photo above you can see the candy corn in the rectangular shaped gummies).
A small saucepan and a fridge takes this gummy candy project to completion.
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 2 packets of unflavored gelatin
- 1 pkg. of Orange Jello (use your favorite flavor)
- ⅓ cup of water
- In a small saucepan add ⅓ cup cold water and sprinkle the two packets of unflavored gelatin over the top. Let it sit a few minutes to absorb the water.
- Turn the stove on to medium heat, stir in the Jello and add in another ⅓ cup of water.
- Stirring continuously until the mixture is smooth and the jello and gelatin has dissolved. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a cup with a pour spout. Pour the mixture gently into the molds. (If using ice cube trays only fill them ¼ to ½ way.)
- Place in the fridge to set up. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to about 1 hour - depending on how much liquid you added to the molds.
- Remove from the molds and enjoy!