Apple Walnut Baked Sweet Potato Stacks
Apple Walnut Baked Sweet Potato Stacks are a delicious appetizer or game day snack as well as a side for any dinner. The suggested amount for the ingredients is what is used, however the amount will depend on your preferences, the size of the potato and muffin cups. This recipe is for average size muffin pans and makes about 18 to 24 stacks.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 30-45 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Side Dish, Appetizer
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tbls. maple syrup
- 1 cup cubed fresh apple
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an average size 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl add maple syrup to the panko bread crumbs and a pinch of salt stirring well to blend and set aside. Next peel and cut the apple in small cubes (one medium to large apple is all you will need), set aside.
- Thinly slice the potato on a mandolin – very carefully – and add them to medium size bowl. (I did not peel the potato, but feel free to peel them if you wish.)
- Add to the sliced potatoes the melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring well to coat the potato slices. Set aside.
- To assemble the sweet potato stacks, place one potato slice into the bottom of the muffin pan.
- Place about 1/2 teaspoon each of chopped apple and panko and walnuts if using, then add 1 marshmallow, top with another slice of potato and repeat until each muffin cup is filled. You can add more apples to each layer as desired.
- Top each stack with a sprinkle of crumbs and 2 marshmallows.
- Cover the muffin pan lightly with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil from pan and continue to bake until potatoes are cooked. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the potato slices. The thinner slices will bake about 30 minutes. Thicker slices may take about 45 minutes.
- To test if potatoes are cooked place a sharp knife into the middle of a stack and if it easily slices through the stack, the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the potato stacks from the pan to a serving plate.
- They can be served hot or at room temperature.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar if desired.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, Thanksgiving side dish, Easy recipe, stacked potatoes, marshmallow sweet potatoes