Orange Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
is one chocolate chip cookie that will be the perfect addition to your dessert tray when entertaining.
Choosing a cookie for fall that my family will like can be difficult since my family is picky about their cookies. Nuts are not their favorite but I love adding nuts so I try to choose a recipe that is flexible so I can make half the batter without nuts and some with nuts just for me and grampy.
It’s one of the reasons I really like this recipe, leave out what you do not like and add what you love. That’s what I love about cooking and baking.
You can’t go wrong with chocolate chip cookies and this orange walnut chocolate chip cookie is dressed up for fall. The fresh orange zest adds just the right amount of flavor and it certainly is a perfect pair for the dark chocolate chips.
I adapted this recipe from one I found on TasteOfHome.com. It really is a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe with the addition of orange zest and walnuts, but the dough is then rolled and cut out with a 2 inch round cookie cutter. A little different than a drop cookie, but the flavor is terrific and the rolling and cutting out the dough is simple enough.
When I removed the dough from the fridge I cut it in half and put one half back in the fridge to stay chilled while I rolled out the first batch.
Sometimes chilling dough does not fit into my schedule but today was a non-eventful day for a change. I worked efficiently, while the dough was chilling I cleaned up the dishes and counter, prepared the cookie sheets and pre-heated the oven. The cookies baked in 12 minutes and in less than 1 hour a delicious batch of orange walnut chocolate chip cookies is ready and no mess to clean up. Now that’s what I call a ‘good hour’ of baking!
- 1¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 6 tbls. sugar (I use Monk fruit, you can use your preferred sugar)
- 6 tbls. brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbls. grated orange zest
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl add the flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, orange zest and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix just until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Cover the bowl and chill about 30 minutes or until it's easy to handle.
- Roll out the dough to about 3/16 inch (this is a little thicker than the usual ¼ inch) then cut out 2 inch rounds and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.
This time of year is great for trying a new cookie recipe so I hope you have a chance to give this orange walnut chocolate chip cookie a try. It’s a cookie that you can make in advance and serve it when entertaining for the upcoming holidays. However, you should not miss out on any opportunity to make these when the mood strikes. This cookie is also great on a buffet table for any party.
I’m sharing this recipe with the #FillTheCookieJar group this month.
Each month the #FillTheCookieJar group shares our cookie creations. If you enjoy baking and would like to bake with the group each month contact Cynthia at Feeding Big.