Easy To Make Mulled Wine
helps to keep out the chill during the cold winter hustle and bustle.
Mulled wine can help keep out the chill on these snowy nights while a creamy hot chocolate will warm up the kids.
Oh, you know what I mean – snow, ice, trying to get ready for Santa and entertaining family and friends – it’s a lot of pressure all at once.
There’s not much we can do to change the weather so just sit back and warm up with a comforting drink. Coffee, tea, mulled wine, hot chocolate, whatever you choose is exactly what you need to just ‘chill’ and remember there’s only so much we can do.
It’s now time to let the snow plows do the work while we sit back and relax for a day to catch our breath.
Turn on your favorite movie, round up the kids after their snowball fight and enjoy the movies.
After the kids have finally passed out from exhaustion, light a fire if you have a fireplace, and put out some snacks to enjoy with the warm mulled wine while watching your favorite new movie.
If you have heard of mulled wine but not sure what it actually is, here is a simple explanation – mulled means heated and spiced. How simple is that. Heat up the wine with any spices you enjoy and you have a delicious warm drink on a cold day.
An easy to make mulled wine will definitely warm your soul during this hectic season and serve it with holiday cookies to everyone who stops by this winter.
Here’s an easy recipe you can prepare in advance to have ready when it’s time to kick back and relax.
TIPS to keep in mind is that (1) you can use an open bottle of red wine to make a small batch adjusting the amount of spices you add and (2) you definitely should not use an expensive bottle of wine.
Easy to Maked Mulled Wine
This recipe is adapted from one of Alton Brown's recipes. I liked using a coffee percolator to make this, it was very easy.
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 oz. brandy or fruit liquor
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- sliced fruit (orange, apple, pear, etc., optional)
- 2-4 tbls. honey or maple syrup
- Using a Coffee Percolator, add the spices and zest to the coffee basket.
- Pour the wine, brandy or liquor if using, and the honey or maple syrup into the coffee pot.
- Place the coffee basket into the pot and cook for about 1 hour on a low heat so that the wine will gently percolate. Do not let it boil, just cook slow about 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend. Add the fresh sliced fruit to the hot wine and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Keep on a very low heat to keep warm and serve when you are ready.
This easy to make mulled wine recipe is so flexible. You can add any spices and/or fruits you prefer. Add in or leave out the brandy. Whatever your preferences, this is really a drink that you can personalize for your guests.
Stay Warm, Be Safe and Best Wishes for the Best Holiday Ever!