When the weather outside is cold, icy, rainy, foggy, slippery make an old fashioned meat loaf in the air fryer.
Best Old Fashioned Meat Loaf Air Fryer Recipe
Times have changed. As
grumpy grampy and I are now retired, we shop early and stock up on our favorite ingredients when the weather alerts show bad weather .
You would think by this time I would have a handle on how to be prepared. Well, actually I do, but sometimes we get caught off guard. A few simple items added to your grocery list and a handle on the weather will have you prepared.
The basic simple truth is all you need to know is what your family’s favorite foods are and keep those ingredients always on hand for emergencies. Let’s face it, there’s always an emergency – weather, the flu, flat tire, you get the idea – it’s just that whatever is going on gets in our way of food shopping and cooking.
When I originally wrote my snowed in meat loaf post quite a few years ago, we were in the throws of a snow storm. I wasn’t taking the car out of the garage. So meatloaf was a good alternative since I had all the ingredients.
My recipe for the best old fashioned meat loaf air fryer recipe is a blend of two recipes. My mother’s and mother-in-law’s basic meatloaf recipes are similar. I then created my own personal “pinch of healthy” recipe. I shred in veggies for moisture and extra ‘health benefits’ for the kids. It’s a simple, basic recipe for meat loaf that’s very tasty and makes delicious sandwiches with the leftovers.
In recent years my daughter and grandson always ask me to make the best old fashioned meat loaf air fryer recipe when the weather is ‘frightful’!Print
Best Old Fashioned Meatloaf Air Fryer Recipe
Best Old Fashioned Meatloaf can also be baked in the air fryer. This is easy to make comfort food anytime. It’s also flexible, you can add in your favorite veggies and condiments for your best old fashioned meatloaf.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-45 minutes
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1/2 lbs. combination of chopped beef/veal/pork (or your preferred selections)
- 2 eggs
- bread crumbs (I use my judgment) about 3/4 to 1 cup
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small carrot, peeled & finely grated
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 tbls. ketchup
- 1/2 tbls. Worcestershire sauce (you can use more if you wish)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard (or whatever style mustard you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR TOMATO SAUCE TOPPING
- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Mix all the ingredients (except the tomato sauce & peas) in the bowl with the meat and blend well with your hands.
- Shape into a loaf place it in a roasting pan or a loaf pan that has been coated lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes then add a little of the tomato sauce (if using) over the meat and continue to cook. Use a meat thermometer to test for proper temperature. It’s difficult to gauge how long to cook a meatloaf so the meat thermometer works best.
- About 30 minutes before the meatloaf is fully cooked add the remainder of tomato sauce and the peas on top of the loaf, with a spoon stir the peas in the sauce if you can. Continue cooking until done. Stir occasionally so the sauce doesn’t burn.
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat the air fryer to 330 degrees. (Check your air fryer for instructions)
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, place the uncooked meatloaf into the basket.
- Give a little spray to the top of the meat loaf and bake at 330 for 14 minutes. check to make sure it’s cooking and browning properly. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. My 2 1/2 lb. meatloaf cooks a total of 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the meatloaf if cooking, add the tomato sauce and frozen peas in a microwave save dish and heat up when the meat loaf has only 2 minutes left to cook.
- Remove the cooked meat loaf and place on a plate. Pour the heated tomato sauce and peas on top of the meat loaf and serve.
Keywords: homemade meatloaf, air fryer meatloaf recipe
The Best Old Fashioned Meat Loaf in your family may have ingredients that your family is crazy about. Feel free to use your favorite meat loaf recipe. If you have an air fryer, then dinner will be ready faster than you ever imagined.
Serve with your favorite mashed potatoes. I have a small rosemary plant that sits on the kitchen counter and I added some to the mashed potatoes. They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
You could also serve low carb cauliflower mash as a side dish. To pump up the flavor you can add grated cheddar cheese on top.
Now on to Dessert . . . I’m always looking for a sweet treat. What can be better on this “special” day than a big bowl of ice cream for dessert.
Lesson Learned — Prepare For Inclement Weather! Run, don’t walk, to your nearest supermarket to pick up the ingredients needed for your favorite comfort foods. Don’t forget the ice cream for dessert. It’s a must!