Classic Cut Out Cookie Recipe Cooking With Kids
This recipe is adapted from the “Classic Cut-Out Cookies” recipe in Fine Cooking Cookies cookbook. Yields approx. 3 dozen 2 inch cookies. This is a very easy recipe to prepare and requires the dough to be chilled (approx. 1-2 hours). This is a great recipe to make with the kids.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 9-11 min.
- Total Time: 50-60 min.
- Yield: 3 dozen 2" cookies
- Category: dessert
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cream (or half & half)
When ready to bake, Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a small bowl whisk the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, salt, to blend.
- Using either a stand mixer or hand held mixer, in a large bowl beat the butter and sugar on medium/high speed until well creamed.
- Add in the egg and continue to mix until the mixture is light and fluffy. Next add in the vanilla and cream and mix just until well combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing just until the flour is well blended.
- Cut the dough into 3 sections, wrap each section in plastic wrap and chill until the dough is firm enough to roll out.
- Cut out cookie shapes approximately ¼” thick, gently place them on to parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 9-11 minutes, or just until the edges being to turn golden brown (the cookies will be very light, only the edges will have a little color).
- Continue to roll out the dough, using the scraps as well and bake each cookie tray separately.
- Let cookies cool on wire racks.
- Decorate the cookies when they are completely cooled.
- You can freeze the baked cookies before decorating and save them for another rainy day to decorate.
The extra time is for the decorating, especially if the kids are helping.
Keywords: cut out cookies, easy cookie recipe, winter snowman cookie, cooking with kids, kids in the kitchen