Easy Cream Cheese Filled King Cake
Mardi Gras King Cake is an easy recipe to make. It’s an easy cream cheese filled cake. A delicious dessert you can make anytime, just decorate with colors to fit the occasion.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 14-17 min.
- Total Time: 30-35 min.
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pkg. puff pastry, defrosted
- 1/3 cup cream cheese (reduced fat is fine)
- 2 tbls. coconut sugar (or use your preferred sweetener)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbls. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten and set aside
Preheat Oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon until well blended. I used a whisk, only takes a minute or two. Set aside.
Prepare the Pastry to Make the King Cake
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and spread the cream cheese mixture in the middle of the pastry sheet, leaving about 1 inch border.
- Cut the pastry sheet into 2 inch strips.
- Fold each strip in half, with the cream cheese mixture inside. Twist the folded sheet until you have a nice twist, connect the two ends squeezing them together to create a circle. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Continue this process until all the pastry has been folded, twisted and formed into a circle.
- Brush the tops of each pastry with egg wash and bake at 425 degrees for 14-17 minutes – time will depend on the size of the pastry circles.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Add sugar glaze to the cooled pastry, and then add the colored sugars while the icing is still wet.
Keywords: King Cake, Mardi Gras, dessert, easy recipe