a low carb side dish to serve with burgers or chicken these homemade cauliflower tots air fryer recipe also make a delicious snack.
As a general rule I do not buy potatoes, neither fresh nor frozen, which is keeping with our recommended low carb diet. If you follow me you might realize we are a snack loving family. I’m always making fried something, breaded veggies, and whatever can be dipped into some kind of sweet or savory dip or sauce.
For this family who only eats the average American diet of chicken, burgers, brisket and of course hot dogs in summer I often look for different side dishes to pump up the ordinary dinner.
I’m a fan of substituting cauliflower when I can. My mission is to make a healthier version of everyone’s favorite snack foods with the hope they will like it. I will ‘magically’ try my best to change the veggie into everyone’s favorite ‘whatever’ and hope for another lucky day in the kitchen.
Now that I’ve spilled the beans on our boring meals, I admit I’m a veggie spicer-upper. It works for me although I’m not always successful with the rest of the crew but I never give up.
Here’s the backstory on the two recipes I found. One recipe called for using fresh cauliflower florets, they had to be cleaned, cooked and finely chopped. This would be a time consuming task to cook and chop fresh cauliflower as opposed to using fresh or frozen riced cauliflower which takes only a few minutes to cook and squeeze dry.
The second recipe used a variety of vegetables, which is o.k. with me, but I wanted the tots to look like potatoes, not ‘tater tots’ with veggies in them. So I just used the cauliflower and grampy assumed I bought a package of tater tots. Illusion is the trick to keeping the recipe secret. It has worked many times.
The reason for combining the two recipes was two-fold: 1) to make the recipe quick and easy; and 2) use the ingredients I already had in my fridge. Don’t you just love flexible recipes?
My sister made the recipe before I had a chance and she baked them in the oven. Sister the cook said the recipe is a keeper, loved that it was easy to make and liked that they were crunchy as well as a great low carb side dish. So sister the cook and I are definitely All In making homemade cauliflower tots air fryer recipe!Print
Homemade Cauliflower Tots Air Fryer Recipe
A delicious low-carb side dish, appetizer or game day snack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: approx. 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 12 oz. pkg. frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 large egg and 1 egg white for dipping (I used liquid egg whites used to dip the tots before breading)
- 1/4 cup diced onion or shallot
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs + 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 2-3 tbls. parmesan grated cheese (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the riced cauliflower in the microwave according to package directions. Remove the cauliflower and place it on a clean cloth towel or use paper towels and ring out the water.
- Mix together in a dish the panko, ½ cup bread crumbs and a little salt and pepper and, if using, stir in the grated cheese and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Place the cauliflower into either a food processor or blender, add in the onion, parsley, 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, salt and pepper and pulse 1-2 times just to blend everything. Add in the egg, give it a few more pulses then add in the shredded cheddar cheese and pulse 1-2 times more just to combine. (The mixture should be course, you should be able to distinguish the riced cauliflower, cheddar cheese, etc. – the mixture should not be a paste.)
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the cauliflower mixture and form into a ‘tater tot’ shape. Dip the tot into the egg white, then into the bread crumb mixture.
- Continue until you’ve rolled all the mixture and gently place the tots into the air fryer basket not touching each other (be sure to spray basket with non-stick cooking spray). You may not be able to put all the tots into the air fryer at the same time. (Depends on the size of the air fryer)
- Preheat the air fryer according to directions. Cook the tots on 360 degrees for 10 minutes, turn them over as best as possible and cook another 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, ketchup, or whatever the family favorite is.
This will serve about 6 as a snack if served with additional snacks. Double or triple the recipe if you have a large crowd.
Keywords: cauliflower, tater tots, air fryer tots recipe, low carb 'tots', easy recipe, side dish, game day snack
I hit a winner with this low carb homemade cauliflower tots air fryer recipe. I’m glad I experimented to come up with this quick and easy recipe which has a ‘pinch of healthy’ and can also be baked in your oven at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes or in an air fryer, directions in the recipe above.
Another of my family’s favorites is this Cheesy Cauliflower Bread and ‘Pizza’ Slices for anytime snacks.
I used fresh heads of cauliflower for this recipe, but I always make it when we are house bound in the winter so it’s no big deal for the extra 30-45 minutes. However do not worry, you can make this even easier by using frozen riced cauliflower. If you use frozen riced cauliflower the prep time is shorter. The drying time is the same.
So far no one has any idea they are eating cauliflower tots and not ‘real frozen’ tater tots. Psst., please don’t spread it around to the kids and my brother-in-law.
So there you have Low Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Tots to be served with your family’s favorite dipping sauce and everyone will be happy.