Strawberry Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
a very easy cookie recipe that is festive enough for special occasions.
Quick and easy recipes are really what I enjoy making the most. My Strawberry vanilla sandwich cookies recipe is also flexible. By that I mean you can make this as a basic vanilla cookie to enjoy or you can add in nuts or whatever else you might like to the dough, and it doesn’t have to be a sandwich cookie. Imagination is the key to making this recipe yours.
I first made the recipe exactly as written and it was delicious. Since I can never leave well enough alone, I made a few ingredient changes to fit into our dietary requirements. I used whole wheat pastry flour and Monk Fruit in place of granulated sugar. The sugar substitute changed the texture of the cookie from chewy to a delicious soft cookie.
This recipe is adapted from the “Fine Cooking Cookies Cookbook.” A basic chewy vanilla cookie to serve for Valentine’s Day or any spring occasion. It looked like the perfect recipe but since it’s Valentine’s Day I wanted to make it a strawberry cookie. I added the freeze dried strawberries to the dough before baking and for the sandwich cookie I used fresh strawberries to the cream cheese filling.
Making cookies is always a pleasure for me though sometimes my cookie shapes are a little irregular. This is no longer a problem for me since I’ve been using Pampered Chef’s silicone baking mat. If you’ve been on the fence about using silicone mats, give this mat a try – it’s easy to use, stays in place on the cookie sheet, cools very quickly for the next batch to be baked and it’s very easy to clean.Print
Strawberry Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
This recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking “Cookies” recipes. It’s a recipe that is quite easy and can be made in an hour or less, including clean-up.
- Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: -25798965.866667 minute
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all purpose flour)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Monk Fruit (Or use your preferred sugar substitute)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped freeze dried strawberries
- For Cookie Sandwich Fillings:
- 2 fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 3 tbls. whipped cream cheese
- 1-2 tsps. powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tbls. strawberry jam
Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar and vanilla and continue beating until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the 2 eggs and beat 1 minute until the eggs are well blended.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and blend on low speed until well blended – approx. 20-30 seconds – then gently fold in the chopped freeze dried strawberries.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon or 2 tablespoons of dough on prepared cookie sheet. Space about 3 inches apart, they will spread a little.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Mine baked in 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 5 minutes then place on wire rack to continue to cool.
- For cream cheese filling, mix together the whipped cream cheese and powdered sugar if using, stir well to blend then stir in the chopped strawberries – use as much or little as you choose.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on cookies and top with another cookie.
For Jelly Filling:
- Spread strawberry jam on the cookies and top with another cookie. Continue until all are filled.
I made two batches of cookies – I wanted to test this recipe to see if the cookie will spread. The first batch I used 1 tablespoon of dough placing it on the template, baked it and they came out great though they didn’t spread. This size is great when serving a crowd.
Because I wanted to make a sandwich cookie I made a second batch. I used a very full tablespoon scoop, placed it on the 2 tablespoon template and using the back of a spoon I gently spread the dough to fill the circle. Baking cookies large or small, flat or rounded tops is a personal preference so make this cookie just the way you like.
This was the first time in a very long time I wasn’t struggling to find a cookie recipe. Don’t you just love when you read a recipe and it calls your name? You know right then ‘That’s the one!’. I was lucky with this strawberry vanilla sandwich cookie recipe, it’s delicious and it can be made into 3 different cookies – sandwich cookies with 2 different fillings and a plain cookie decorated with a glaze and sprinkles to dress it up!
This cookie was part of the #FillTheCookieJar group. If you enjoy baking and would like to bake with the group each month contact Cynthia at Feeding Big.
PLEASE SHARE &
This is a delicious cookie to serve for your favorite Valentine. Spring is on it’s way and this would be a delicious addition for Mother’s Day desserts.
For any special occasion or gathering add these Strawberry Vanilla Sandwich Cookies to any dessert buffet during the Spring and Summer season.