A dessert you can easily bake in the oven OR bake in an air fryer. A Delicious quick and easy gluten free pie to make anytime.
Gluten Free Easy Coconut Pie Recipe
March 14 is PI ( π ) day though it is not a real holiday but a day to celebrate PI ( π ) which is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. It’s one of the most popular mathematical constants most of us learned in math class – I’m not a math wiz so this is a foreign language to me – who remembers waaaaay back then?!@#
PI ( π ) Day celebrates the never-ending number – 3.14159……., and Albert Einstein’s birthday, March 14th! I learn something new every day. I asked the boys to help me understand PI ( π ) while I was preparing my pie. That was not a good idea never realizing I would get so confused.
My lesson learned – never discuss math when cooking and baking! Done! I’m good with that lesson since math was never my strength. Isn’t that the reason we use a calculator?
Since my first pie was a disaster I had to find an easier recipe. I was a bit upset my pie was not a blue ribbon winner. As a result, just when I thought PI ( π ) was never going to add up, I came across Betty Crocker’s easy coconut pie. I decided to experiment since I had nothing to lose and a chance to bake a winner.
If you follow me you might know that I often bake on a whim and do not always have all the ingredients I need for a new recipe. That never bothers me as I like to experiment and sometimes I come up with a recipe that is “share” worthy as is this Gluten Free Easy Coconut Pie Recipe.
Whenever I’m in a pinch I look for an easy recipe. Our trusted baker Better Crocker has this gluten free impossibly easy coconut pie. It definitely caught my attention but I was a little challenged at first.
Gluten free recipes are always a great idea but I do not use gluten free baking mix. Ahhh, but I had coconut flour and nothing to lose by trying my hand at creating a new recipe. I used the coconut flour as the substitution for the gluten free baking mix – a coconut pie calls for coconut flour, no? – a good choice here.
All the other ingredients needed are staples which we usually have on hand. Prepping the gluten free easy coconut pie recipe was a breeze, less than 10 minutes and the pies were ready for the oven.Print
Gluten Free Easy Coconut Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Easy Coconut Pie Recipe, adapted from Betty Crocker. Below are directions for both Oven Baking and Air Fryer Baking.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (you can use coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened)
- 1/2 cup Monk Fruit (or your preferred sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl add in all the ingredients and using a wooden spoon stir until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie plate and bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Toast ¼ cup of shredded coconut either in the oven or in a small fry pan for garnish (optional)
- Cool pie and garnish with shredded coconut and powdered sugar.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Air Fryer Recipe
- Coat a 6″ pie plate with non stick spray and fill it with the batter. Continue following the same instructions as above.
- Cook in the Air Fryer at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Check the pie halfway thru the cooking time to be sure it is not burning, give the plate a turn, use a toothpick to test for doneness. Continue to cook accordingly. Air fryer cooking time will differ from one manufacturer to another.
Air Fryer Recipe Baking Time is only 10-12 minutes in a 6 inch pie plate.
I was very pleased with the two baked pies I made. When grampy asked ‘where did I buy the pie?’, I knew that the taste and consistency of my delicious gluten free easy coconut pie was a winner. There was no difference in the flavor or texture of either pie – one baked in the oven and one baked in the air fryer.
If you like coconut and coconut pie this is a recipe to try. It takes very little prep time though the bake time is about 45-55 minutes. Long bake times often get in the way of our schedules, but today the timing worked for me.
Pin For Later:
Have you used an air fryer? If so, what are your thoughts?
Saving time and calories is always on my list. Follow along with me on my air fryer cooking journey, sharing my tips and helpful hints: