Fresh Berry Fruit Compote Has No Added Sugar
is a delicious and healthy substitute for pancake syrup or a delicious topping for ice cream or a special dessert.
This easy to make compote can be made a day or two in advance and saved until you are ready to serve your breakfast or desserts.
I often make breakfast for dinner but I like to find ways to eliminate the sugary maple syrup we use for pancakes, waffles or French toast. This fresh berry compote fits the bill.
I used fresh berries I already had that were starting to wilt and they were much sweeter. I added some juice from an orange along with a little zest for another layer of flavor.
The natural sugars in the fruit and berries were enough so that no additional sugar is needed. Now that’s a ‘good thing’!
Use this berry compote for topping pancakes, waffles, French Toast, and ice cream or any special dessert – perhaps a cheesecake.
Fresh Berry Fruit Compote No Added Sugar
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest from half of an orange
- juice from half of an orange
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. of tapioca (for thickening)
- Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and cook on low simmer, stirring occasionally, and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced and thickens. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Keep warm and serve as a topping for pancakes, waffles, french toast, or special desserts.
A simple preparation to make fresh berry fruit compote no added sugar takes just a few minutes, cook until thickened. Add the compote to a bowl and serve immediately or you refrigerate up to two days until ready to use.
You can make this fresh berry compote no sugar added any time of the year. I often buy berries during season in the farmers market however, most every supermarket produce section has berries any time of the year. This compote is a great topping to make during holiday season, Mother’s Day celebrations, and for any gathering it will be well served on the buffet table.