a quick and easy flexible recipe to make as a topping for your grilled hot dog or burgers. It’s so good you will make this even after grilling season is long gone.
Hot Dog Onion Sauce New York Style
Let’s not forget those who live in the city, are in the summer mood but do not have the access to grilling. What they do have is the convenience of walking up to the local crème de la crème shiny hot dog cart on the corner.
As a born and raised New Yorker this is one of the most memorable ways to enjoy the warm weather months in the big city.
I’m happy to share this recipe for hot dog onion sauce New York style for those who do not live in the city. You can create your own recipe and enjoy the same taste experience.
It’s not always easy to recreate a flavor experience. Except in this one particular instance, the onions can be bought in a jar in your local supermarket. But Wait!!!!!!!!, There’s More….
You can quickly and easily make the spicy onions at home with a few basic ingredients – how about 4 ingredients – you probably have in the fridge and pantry.
This is a recipe that that my cousin often made for us at our family summer bbqs in the ’60’s. When we all asked “How did you make this?” she graciously gave us this recipe. Yes that was a looooong time ago. Yet my mom and my sisters and I have been making this hot dog onion sauce New York style recipe ever since.
Spicy 'Hot Dog' Onions
Spicy "Hot Dog" Onions - spicy flavored cooked onions to add to your grilled hot dogs, or hamburgers
- 3 large onions sliced (big yellow or vidalia)
- 1-2 tbl. butter (or butter alternative)
- 2-3 tbl. ketchup
- 1/2 cup water (optional)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. Frank's Hot Sauce (optional)
- Add the butter to a medium sauce pan to melt, then add the sliced onions and stir with a wooden spoon until the onions have been coated with the melted butter.
- Add the salt, pepper and the hot pepper flakes and stir just to blend.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the onions have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ketchup to the onions and stir. If you wish you can then add water a little at a time. You may not need all the water (I often do not add water as the onions release enough liquid). Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or just until everything is well blended and the onions are soft.
- Serve hot as topping for hot dogs or on burgers.
When I recently decided to update this old post I did a little research and found that the red onion sauce was the creation of Alan S. Geisler, more than 50 years ago. The sauce – which included vinegar, onion, tomato paste and other ingredients, was made at the request of a hot dog and bun supplier who eventually became Mr. Geisler’s partner. The onions were a success and eventually they were produced and sold in most commercial markets under the Sabrett label.
As more hot dog vendors began hitting the city streets the vendors may have started making their own version of the onion sauce. I’m sure it was a lot less expensive to make themselves.
As we all know, homemade is always better! So here is a quick, easy and flexible recipe to which you can add in your favorite spices or hot sauce to satisfy your palate (the #1 reason why homemade is better, and has no preservatives).
Use as many or as few onions and ketchup as you like according to your taste. Also, if you like more spicy flavors add your favorite hot sauce as well. I did mention this recipe is flexible, yes?
You can definitely make this hot dog onion sauce New York style recipe in advance for convenience. Make extra to freeze for next time.
Using the ketchup eliminates adding sugar and vinegar. If you prefer sweeter and tangy just add a little of each at a time to taste. Now this Hot Dog Onion Sauce New York Style recipe is your own creation.
Add these onions to grilled burgers, steak, chicken or sausage sandwiches while relaxing on the deck.