Spicy ‘Hot Dog’ Onion Sauce New York Style
Spicy “Hot Dog” Onion New York Style is an very easy recipe to make anytime, winter or summer. Add the spicy flavored cooked onions to add to your grilled hot dogs, or hamburgers. This is a recipe you can make in less than 15 minutes. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Total Time: 15-20 min.
- Yield: 2 Cups
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: American
- 3 large onions sliced (big yellow or vidalia)
- 1-2 tbl. butter (or butter alternative)
- 2-3 tbl. ketchup
- 1/2 cup water (optional)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. Frank’s Hot Sauce (optional)
- Add the butter to a medium sauce pan to melt, then add the sliced onions and stir with a wooden spoon until the onions have been coated with the melted butter.
- Add the salt, pepper and the hot pepper flakes and stir just to blend.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the onions have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ketchup to the onions and stir. If you wish you can then add water a little at a time. You may not need all the water (I often do not add water as the onions release enough liquid). Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or just until everything is well blended and the onions are soft.
- Serve hot as topping for hot dogs or on burgers.
TIP: This recipe is so flexible you can add in less or more of the ingredients based on your flavor preferences. However, this recipe as written is almost exactly like the onions from the NY hot dog carts in the city.