Quick Easy Balsamic Glazed Chicken Caprese Style
can be prepared and ready for a weeknight dinner in 20 minutes or less.
How often can you make a chicken dinner without getting tired of eating chicken? We have chicken at least twice a week and making something different and tasty is challenging.
Making a dinner in 20 minutes or less is even more challenging at times. However, using pantry staples such as cheese and tomatoes with thin chicken cutlets in a recipe can make things easier. When I do grocery shopping I always add cheese and tomatoes to my staples list. If you think about it you can add cheese and tomatoes to any breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We always use mozzarella whether it’s for snacks, the usual pizza, as well as adding it to pasta. Cheese makes everything taste better. When using mozzarella along with the fresh tomatoes you have a ‘caprese style’ meal. That’s what we had for dinner, quick and easy balsamic glazed chicken caprese style.
With a few thin chicken cutlets, slices of mozzarella and cherry tomatoes with a balsamic glaze made what would have been an ordinary chicken meal into a special weeknight dinner in no time at all. So let’s get this chicken dinner started.
- 1 tbls. butter
- 1 tbls. avocado oil (or your preferred vegetable oil)
- 6-8 thin sliced chicken cutlets
- 6-8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbls. chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg. of fresh spinach (amount depends on how much spinach you like)
- 2 tbls. brown sugar
- ½ tbls. cornstarch
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water (you might need to add additional water if glaze is too thick for your liking)
- Add the ingredients for the glaze into a sauce pan on medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar and cornstarch dissolve. Simmer lightly and stir until the vinegar thickens. If the glaze is too thick, add a little more water and stir until well combined to the consistency you prefer. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a fry pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and avocado oil and heat until the butter melts into the oil. Add in the thin chicken cutlets and saute for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Do not overcook.
- When you have turned over the cutlets add the mozzarella on top of each cutlet, season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle a tablespoon or two of the glaze into into the pan, cover and cook until the cheese melts, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the sliced tomatoes to the pan with another tablespoon of the balsamic glaze, cover and cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes, or just until they soften a bit.
- Add the tomatoes to the top of the chicken cutlets with the warm balsamic glaze.
- To serve, add fresh spinach leaves to a plate and top with cooked chicken caprese and sprinkle with sliced fresh basil and parsley. Drizzle with reserved warm balsamic glaze.
This Quick Easy Balsamic Glazed Chicken Caprese style may seem complicated but it really is quite easy. You can make the balsamic glaze early in the day or a day or two in advance. It’s always helpful when you can plan ahead and have part of the recipe prepared in advance.
The thinly sliced chicken cutlets do not need a lot of cooking time. Just a few minutes will do. The cheese melts quickly and the tomatoes only take a couple of minutes to warm up. There’s no need to cook the spinach, it’s delicious fresh with the warm chicken. Dinner is ready in less than 20 minutes, ENJOY!