A low carb and gluten free alternative for weekend snacks, appetizers or party food – low carb easy cheesy cauliflower bread sticks.
A while ago I made cauliflower ‘pizza’ slices hoping I could sway the family into a new vegetable thinking the ‘pizza’ camouflage would be the key to hiding the healthy part of the pizza.
It worked. Most kids just don’t want to try something that looks unusual, so a familiar cauliflower pizza style was the key.
The past several years our family has been struggling with having too many carbs and not enough fiber. Making cauliflower in different varieties is one way to change up the plain old carb menu.
It takes a while to adapt to a new food but I keep plugging away and I’m happy to say I have now converted a few more family members. Now I know I should keep on trying. The versatility of cauliflower gives us the opportunity to add herbs and spices along with cheese and veggies for a variety of flavors.
For this low carb easy cheesy cauliflower bread sticks recipe the cauliflower needs to be ‘riced’. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare the ‘riced’ cauliflower. However, here’s a helpful tip if you are new to converting cauliflower recipes, you can buy riced cauliflower! Yes, this recipe is even easier to make than before. Using the packaged ‘riced’ cauliflower which I have now seen in every market in my area can be purchased either fresh or frozen.
Frozen riced cauliflower is great because you can always have a bag in the freezer when you want to make a snack. Many stores in my area also have pre-packaged fresh riced cauliflower which I’ve used as well. It’s a matter of either (1) personal convenience or (2) what is left on the shelves. It’s worth trying as it definitely saves a lot of time.
When making a cauliflower ‘bread’ or ‘pizza’ I like to add chopped spinach to the cauliflower along with the cheeses and I also made a batch with chopped bacon (see photo below). I’m thinking an extra pinch of healthy spinach cancels out the a little bit of the bacon – crazy idea I know – but the more veggies the better and with lots of flavors added no one ever realizes they are eating something on the ‘healthy end of the scale’. Hey there’s always a trade-off when trying to make the family eat healthy!
I often make homemade cheesy cauliflower ‘tots’ as a side for burgers and chicken. Shhhh…, please don’t tell anyone. Only my daughter knows the tots are made with riced cauliflower. The kids love the cheesy and spicy flavors, no questions asked.Print
Low Carb Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks
Low Carb Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks is a great snack on game day, movie night or for a side dish with dinner.
- Prep Time: 20-35 min.
- Cook Time: 25-35 min.
- Total Time: 45-60 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- For the Cauliflower Bread Sticks:
- 1 large head of cauliflower (OR 1 package of riced cauliflower)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella – divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese – divided (or your preferred cheese)
- 1 egg beaten
- salt and pepper – and any other seasoning you might like – add to taste
- Wash and cut the florets from the stem of the cauliflower and pat dry OR use the precut riced cauliflower either frozen or the fresh store brand.
- Using a grater or ricer, grate only the florets into a bowl – discard the stems.
- When all the cauliflower is grated or riced, place in a bowl (do NOT add water) and cook for 3-5 minutes in the microwave.
- Drain the cauliflower through a fine sieve or lay on a clean cloth towel, roll up the towel and squeeze the water from the cauliflower. Place the cauliflower in a shallow dish & occasionally give it a stir.
- Add the dried cauliflower to a bowl.
- Add in the beaten egg, half of the cheeses, herbs if using, salt and pepper and mix well.
- On a parchment lined pan spread out the mixture in a thin layer to form a rectangle (mine was about 14 x 7 which will vary based on the size of the cauliflower)
- Spread the remaining cheeses on top and place in a 400 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes or until it is browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 20 minutes. Then carefully transfer to a plate and cut into slices.
The cheesy cauliflower bread sticks were nicely browned you get the impression it’s going to be crispy. CAUTION, it was NOT crispy. It was tender and a bit delicate. Not to worry though, the kids enjoyed them.
I cut them on the smaller size so that you only need a bite or two. I added the bacon for those who might enjoy the crunch bacon as well as needing an additional nudge to give it a try.
TIPS: Spread out the riced cauliflower on a clean towel or double strength paper towel, roll up and squeeze out as much water as possible.
Next scoop the cauliflower into a shallow dish layered with a paper towel and let it sit out for an hour or two to continue to dry. While it is in the dish stir with a fork every 20 minutes or so. This will help the drying process.
I have made this recipe many times in the past few months. I’ve found that letting the cauliflower sit about an hour is enough time for the cauliflower to dry. When I’m in a rush, but 2 hours dry time can be better. Planning ahead will make this well worth the drying time. I most often prepare the cauliflower in the morning which allows plenty of time for the riced cauliflower to dry.
It’s always challenging to change over to healthy eating. Eating and tasting unfamiliar foods takes time to adjust to the new flavors. I Keep trying!
PLEASE SHARE &