Healthy Easy Homemade Cold Tomato Soup Recipe
is NOT gazpacho but a delicious easy homemade tomato soup using the abundance of fresh tomatoes of the season. You can make this recipe in advance and have it ready for an easy summer meal.
I won’t bore you with the details of how we tried to keep cool ‘back in the day’ when we had no air conditioning or swimming pool — o.k. so we kept cool in the mist of a garden hose when grandpa watered the garden.
What I remember most was how much we enjoyed the special lunches mom made in the heat of the summer. Using the abundance of tomatoes grown in grandpa’s garden mom made homemade tomato soup along with grilled cheese, fresh lettuce and tomato slices on Wonder Bread.
That was generations ago, but who’s counting. Today I have no doubt you can find a cold tomato soup and grilled panini’s on the menu of any self-respecting restaurant — gourmet, health-food style, and yes even a vegetarian style restaurant.
My inspiration for many of the recipes I share are from the meals and flavors I remember from my childhood. Cooking techniques have changed which makes it easy to add more flavors and often shorten cooking times for some of the recipes I re-make. Also when using farm fresh ingredients it’s easy to create a gluten free and vegetarian meal just like this healthy easy homemade cold tomato soup recipe.
There are several ways you can prepare this soup, but I’m taking a traditional route by sauteing my ingredients to give the soup its flavor. Later on in years when my mom and dad moved to Florida mom would add tomato juice for additional flavor. You can do that if you wish, or use V-8 which would add more flavors — that’s all up to you. I pass on the juice.
If you know it will be extremely hot, like 100 degrees in the shade, make a tray of soup ice cubes and freeze in the morning. That way when you are eating on the deck/patio you can add a ‘soup’ ice cube to the bowl. It keeps the soup cold longer without diluting the flavor. (My fridge makes ice so I only had heart shaped trays to freeze the soup.)
Cold Tomato Soup
This soup is NOT Gazpacho, it's a fresh tomato soup that is chilled before serving.
- 1-2 TBLS. olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 4-6 large fresh tomatoes, cubed
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley, basil, cilantro and/or fresh oregano (your choice)
- lemon wedges
- Heat oil in stock pot and add the chopped vegetables. Saute for 3-5 minutes just until tender and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the 1 cup of liquid to the pot and simmer about 15 minutes just until the flavors blend. If the soup is too thin for you add 1-2 TBLS. tomato paste to thicken and simmer another 20 minutes. Remove from stove to cool.
- Let cool for 45 minutes, then put it all in the blender and puree until smooth. If there are too many seeds or skins pour it through a strainer or sieve.
- Refrigerate several hours until ready to serve. Sprinkle the fresh chopped herbs on top of each serving. Add sliced lemon for garnish.
You Might Also Enjoy These Easy Vegetarian Recipes:
This healthy easy homemade cold tomato soup recipe can be made a day in advance or in the morning before you start your day. It will be ready to serve when everyone starts singing “I’m hungry!” And If everyone ‘played nice together’ treat them with a handful of chips on the side for a special treat.